Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Please i need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6
Default Please i need help

My 1990 cherokee 4x4 is over heating the water is not getting to the radiator my temperature gets extremely high the second fan doesn't turn on and the radiator is still cold could the water pump be the wrong one are there two different ones? or something please help
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 ho

Try turning the ac on and see if the high speed fan comes on. If so it might the temp switch if it doesn't it may be a relay
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

Check the thermostat.
Also since you mentioned something about there being more then one water pump for it if you've recently replaced the water pump it might need burping if there's an air bubble in the system.

Last edited by CrazyMacaw; 05-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i had the same problem on my 1990 jeep cherokee. around this year on jeeps they build up air pockets in the motor cause of how the coolant system is set up on these. you need to pull of the main radiator hose that goes from the radiator to the motor. pull off the hose that goes directly to the motor and leave it connected to the radiator. then fill the hose that goes to the radiator with coolant. you will continue filling until you see it come out of the spot you pulled the hose off of. then drive it around. it will start to over heat agin but then it should pop the air pocket and should drop your temp real fast. give it a shot. it worked for me. any more questions just ask. over heating on these things are a pain.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

Originally Posted by jeepmadness
i had the same problem on my 1990 jeep cherokee. around this year on jeeps they build up air pockets in the motor cause of how the coolant system is set up on these. you need to pull of the main radiator hose that goes from the radiator to the motor. pull off the hose that goes directly to the motor and leave it connected to the radiator. then fill the hose that goes to the radiator with coolant. you will continue filling until you see it come out of the spot you pulled the hose off of. then drive it around. it will start to over heat agin but then it should pop the air pocket and should drop your temp real fast. give it a shot. it worked for me. any more questions just ask. over heating on these things are a pain.
That sounds too much like work...
All I did for mine was take the radiator cap off, top off the radiator and let the motor run till the coolant level dropped and the air pocket burped out the radiator filler neck. Then I topped it off again and put the cap back on.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by CrazyMacaw
That sounds too much like work...
All I did for mine was take the radiator cap off, top off the radiator and let the motor run till the coolant level dropped and the air pocket burped out the radiator filler neck. Then I topped it off again and put the cap back on.
You don't have the closed cooling system that the 1990 and older have. Early Cherokees are a pain to burb.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Im not quite sure how the fans work on the cherokee, but if there is two I would imagine one at least comes on with A/C and the other would come on engine temps or bot come on with temps.

You mentioned the radiator was cold? that tells me you at least have a circulation problem, could be air trapped (doubt if you've been driving it around), could be a water pump issue, could be a stuck closed thermostat. If the water pump was not pumping your heater would not blow hot very well or at all. If you have done nothing to the cooling system and it just started overheating one day, I would first suspect the thermostat. I would also verify proper cooling fan op too.

Not sure about the possibilty of the wrong water pump but thats possible if you just replaced it recently. I think the V-belt (old style) pumps spin backwards compared to serpentine belt (new style) pumps. I actually had a parts store do that to me on a SBC.