Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Please Help - Jeep Charokee Stuttering - Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2010
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default Please Help - Jeep Charokee Stuttering - Newbie

My 2010 Jeep Charokee is stuttering when I drive at a consistent speed. Sometimes its when I'm taking off. It's almost like I'm driving over a rumble strip. If I let off the gas or give it more gas it goes away. I bought the Jeep about a month ago with 55K Miles. It did this after 2 weeks of owning it and then one day when I was driving at 55 mph it down shifted into 4th gear and wouldn't come out. The dealership (which is my father in-laws employer who hasn't charged us a dime for anything and provided free loaners everytime) replaced the shift module (?) It then would drive in drive but the stuttering was 10x worse. Then they took it in to "reflash" and it seemed to be better for about another week. However, after driving for several hours today out Christmas shopping it started again. If efforts to resolve the issue I have joined this forum. The jeep will go back to the shop tomorrow. My husband checked the transmission fluid which he said is very low. Maybe that is causing it. Or maybe a the gas cap not on tight? It seems as though it became worse after I pumped gas tonight. I stopped at the gas station and suggested dry gas. My husband put the dry gas in and drove the rest of the way home. The stuttering didn't seem as bad and it made me think that maybe it was because he put the gas cap on tighter then I did....??? Sorry if this sounds ignorant but I'm not a machanic. Any suggestions, input or advice is greatly appreciated. Im brand new to this forum and hope I have posted this correctly. Thank you.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, welcome to CF. 2010 is a little out of my league. I'm pretty fluent with Grands up 'til 2004, but since then they've made changes I'm not aware of.

Having said that, I'd suggest you bought a load of water and crap the previous time you bought gas. Most of this is stopped by the fuel filter but some may have made it to the injectors. Try a good brand of fuel injector cleaner to see if it makes a difference. JMHO. If it does, try a new fuel filter also.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

If by chance it is because of skank gas, just the Injector cleaner may not be enough. Iirc they make the products for watered down gas. Btw OP, what state do you live in. I know in Jersey A lot of gas stations have bad gas due to the tank being in ground where they get saturated by rain water which eve ethanol seeps in.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Year: 2010
Engine: 5.7 Hemi

Thank You Dave and sycoglitch. I hope Im responding to this correctly. Please excuse my non-forum experience. I will try the best brand of fuel injector as suggested ...assuming this goes in the gas tank... I will ask at the auto store. We all have to start and learn somewhere. In response to my location, I live in Maine. The gas station actually says "contains ethanol" on the pump, like 10% of so. Meaning it's probably 50% Ethanol. I will start with the recommended suggestions and keep you posted. Thank you both very much for your input and feed back!!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 PM

octane booster and iso heat will remove the water