Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Please help!!!! :)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Question Electronics Problems, please help!

Hello! Total Jeep Newbie here, so please be patient with my ignorance to technical car terms. For those who can offer any suggestions for my issue, please read my story and comment:
Around last winter, my SunRoof began leaking heavily, causing the bottom of the front passenger's side (where you put your feet.) to become heavily waterlogged. Like, I'm talkin' a legit puddle, not just a drip.
It also started leaking and causing the same type of puddle on the driver's side. Other than shovel the standing water out and then put down a towel for remaining moisture, I haven't been able to do anything about it until recently, and it's fine now. But i guarantee you the water saturated through a couple of the times and i want to say it's rained enough here to cause that to happen at least 6 times. I'm mentioning this because it MAY be the cause of my next issue....
About a month or 2 ago, my Electronics started acting sketchy...for example:

-All of the warning lights turned on (including Air Bag, Check Gages, Check Engine, oh and that thing that looks like a Key within a Circle with a Slash through..).
-The Power Windows wouldn't work, up or down.
-The Gages such as RPM and MPH and how much gas I had, all of those, malfunction/ go to 0 or empty
-Just Recently (yesterday) the left Side Mirror (electronic) wouldn't quit, like, oscillating almost, but just to the right, until it was hot to the touch and I had to unplug the car battery.
These issues occur at random times and my radio works fine. the Car runs fine other than the issues i stated. Well, almost. hehe.

Please help me save my car, I would be forever grateful Any ideas ?

Last edited by Jeep_newbie23; 08-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

The year and model of your Jeep will help everyone here help you. Sounds like it could be a PCM issue but I'm not certain.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Year: 1999

It's a 1999 Grand Cherokee.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

First thing you should do is check all your fuses, and interior electrical connections, they could get water in them and it would cause shorts and the random malfunctions your experiencing, if its not those move on to the next step.

Next step would be to pull up the carpet in the passenger foot well, under it should be your ECU/PCM, Just looking at it you should be able to see signs of water damage, corrosion, rust, ect... pull the computer out and check further, burnt marks, corrosion and rust can be signs of damage.

If there does not appear to be any damage your next move would be to pull codes and see what it says, if anything, let us know what codes you get and we can go from there, assuming you cant see visual damage to the computer, if you can see visual damage then i would assume that is where your problems are coming from, depending on where you live you should be able to get a new computer from your local junkyard, pick n pull should have plenty for your jeep, at around 30-80 bucks depending on area. most junkyards will let you exchange it if you dont get a good one the first try. hint, any computer from a 99-04 jeep grand cherokee with the same motor as yours

Other things that could cause this is shorts that could have been caused by the standing water, after you determine that the computer is fine, and you get no codes we can move on to shorts.

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When did you buy it? I'm just saying this sounds like some of the problems that are popping up from the Sandy Flood cars.