Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Pass. Side Sway bar end hits tie rod when turning right. Solution?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pass. Side Sway bar end hits tie rod when turning right. Solution?

I just installed a Rough Country sway bar quick disconnect kit for lifted jeeps on my lifted '96 ZJ. When I turn right my sway bar end link hits my tie rod. Well, it hit the sway bar end link when it was the extended one that came with my IRO lift kit also.

Looking at it I don't know how it didn't hit with the stock ones either, very tight.

I might have a possible solution but I wanted to ask before I tried it (new to Jeeps, worried about causing death wobble).

Can I just flip the tie rod to the front of the other tie rod? That would move the joint that's in the way from the back to the front and out of my way. Seems logical, good idea, bad idea?

P.S. The bottom pin where the disconnect goes is installed facing outwards in this picture because inwards it hit even worse, it was an experiment..

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sorry, no, you can't just flip the tierod because the hole it goes into is tapered. it will only mount from the one side.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by dave1123
Sorry, no, you can't just flip the tierod because the hole it goes into is tapered. it will only mount from the one side.
Well, that's what I needed to know. I saw it was flat on both sides and got hopeful. Thank You!

I live chatted with Rough Country today. They mentioned that the picture was taken on the lift and it would be better on it's own weight (makes sense) and it is, not enough, but a bit better. So I got the live chat guy to sign off of leaving the lower pin installed backwards or outward facing like it is in the picture. While it is like this there's no issues so I guess we'll try it like that and see what happens.