Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Parking brakes (DISC REAR) HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Parking brakes (DISC REAR) HELP!

So I'm going through my brakes, and intend to (finally) fix my parking brakes. The pads are worn to nothing so i removed them and all the springs/hardware. I have all the parts I need to fix it BUT the camming lever that spreads the shoes at the top is rusted and siezed together. Basically..if I engage the parking brake, the spreader siezes and wont release the shoes. According to the manual I am able to remove this...but not until the axle shafts are removed. I'm not even gonna bother with that mess until I find new ones of the parts that are effed up. Any idea what the actual name of this part is or where i can get it?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A brake supply or NAPA should be able to help you out with parts. Pulling the axle is easier than you think. Pull the cover off, remove the lock screw and slide the cross shaft out enough to be able to push axle in, now use a magnet to grab the C clip, carefully slide the axle out without damaging the axle seal. Do NOT spin either axle when the cross shaft is out, you'll spit the spider gears out. Put it all back together in reverse order and use RTV to seal the cover.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Not sure of the exact setup but I have done a few on Dakota's where that piece is siezed. I haven't had to replace a set yet. I have always gotten away with pulling them off, and get them apart, using a wire wheel and cleaning all the rust then put some anti-sieze on them when you re-install. That is what I would do personally (more time but no money spent). But if you have the money and don't mind spending it, replacing the pieces would be better. But again I would put some anti-seize on there to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Alright, well, I guess I have to rebuild my LSD anyways, so off with the axle shafts next time I get a chance. Pretty annoying that they put such a stupid little part in such a hard to reach place. Anyways, I have the D44A rear, is taking it apart any different from the way you stated?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Pretty close to being the same.