Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Parking Brake - 2004 Cherokee (WJ)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Parking Brake - 2004 Cherokee (WJ)

I am half way through replacing my parking brake cable. It popped the other day as I was pulling up the handle to park the car. I see that the little steel ball/plug on the end just under the handle broke off...

I have peeled back the carpet and examined where the fornt cable attaches to what they call the "equalizer." The equalizer seems to spread the pressure of the single cable from the front to two cables left and right that go to the rear wheels...

If I pull on the right rear (passenger side) cable just past the equalizer I can feel if move back and forth and I hear "action" in the rear brake area. All seems normal.. When I tug on the left (driver side) cable, it does not slide forward and back and I cannpt hear anything. It's like it's solid / static... Like it's not meant to slide.

In my research for replacement parts I find that Autozone/Advance Auto/ Napa and those types of stores only seem to carry a right rear replacement cable... Jeep dealers show two cables available for the rear...

Is there something different about the left (driver) side rear cable? Does mine sound normal? I have been doing fine all this time but if its worng I would rather fix it properly while Im in there...

Perhaps the adjustment is too tight on that side...? No idea. Hoep to dig deeper in the AM.