Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Overheated 02 jeep lardeo 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Overheated 02 jeep lardeo 4x4

Couple of months ago, i replaced a relay module for my fan, last night coming home, goin thur a drive thur window waited for about 10 mins my jeep's gauge temp started to go up, then the red light comes on CHECK GAUGE and then i got scared and turned it off, and next thing i hear bubbling, and the fan coming on and steams coming out of my hood and hearing fan coming on and off....then on and off....so i started back up and the temp gauge, went down, then started to rise up i got home let it cool off wasnt much i was gonna do since it was like 11 at night, anyways i got up and looked under my hood to check to see if i had a busted hose, or anything that might be wrong and i noticed my anitfreeze was low, so i went to autozone to buy some more antifreeze, and came home and put some in it, and crank the car and let it run and i hear bubbling, ya know normal tryin to go the system to resevior to the radiator, i dont see no leak nothing, but i read somewhere on the site, that when the temp gauge gets to around or btw 210 to 214 the fan would kick on, well i havent fully tested that the fan doesnt come on cuz im still scared of damaging it, but the gauge read around 205 or 200, never get past 210, i just know it was always around 185 or 195 but now i see it around 200 but not past 210 i dont know weather the motor is bad or what or am i doing something wrong here guys help me out thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Well, uhh, Welcome. With these repairs that seem random shot in the dark, the first thing is to go simple. First check and verify that the fan connections are sound. Then check fuses and or relays. Then if you have to, pull the fan out and check that with jumper wires to the battery to ensure that puppy comes on and stays on. My guess would be a relay that is starting to go. The problem with electrical components is that you never know that are bad until they are toast.

Now, you said your antifreeze was low. Was it in the overflow tank? or just gone as in it leaked out? What I am trying to get at here is to ensure it didn't got hot enough to blow a head gasket and the antifreeze got into the cylinders. A system pressure check at this point wouldn't hurt. When you said that you started it backup and the gauge went down I am atributing that to a lack of coolant on the sensor. When you fired her back up, coolant go pushed to the sensor and got hot again. I am curious to know where the coolant went, hopefully, the engine just puked it and didnt burn it!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

If the vehical over heated with no leaks, the rad cap will pop open and alot will spill into the overflow, so that is one place it could of gone.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default overheated

Speaking of overheating, I'm having problems with my electric fan, it will not come on without jumping the fan with power right at the plug. I have looked for a relay and have not found anything for the fan.Can someone tell me where to find the stupid thing?