Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

out of ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default out of ideas...

ok so my 96 grand will not start. I have no spark and hear no fuel pump with no fuel pressure, I've replaced crankshaft sensor,cam sensor,starter,cleaned battery terminals,checked fuses and relays 50 times,and iginition switch. I suppose it's down to a few things cpu,fuel pump,coil? any help would be great..thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Stop throwing money at it friend...Seriously!

You need to find the common connection (HINT: Automatic Shutdown Relay) and determine why it isn't allowing the fuel pump to energize.

That's where I'd start.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Especially if you have never had this problem before, in addition to replacing all of those parts, you should really take the above advice and check that relay.

Something similar happened to me. I bought my 96 ZJ and didn't know that it had an OEM VTSS (Vehicle Theft Alarm System). A few days after I had it, I tripped the alarm on accident, and while I was glad it was there (my previous vehicle had been stolen), I was also glad when all the noise stopped. But when I went to go to the place where I purchased the Jeep, the damn thing wouldn't start.

I was furious. You know how they make those things that automatically shut down your car if you don't pay your car payment? I thought they forgot to take that off of my Jeep since I had paid for it in full the day I got it. So I walked to the dealership and told them that my Jeep wouldn't start, and they mentioned something about unlocking the tailgate with the key. Personally, at first (this is my first Jeep) I thought it was jury rigged. The owner of the dealership was nice enough to drive me back home and demonstrate how this whole thing worked. I thought it was all so strange.

Strange, that is, until I found out that the relay is controlled, on purpose, by the liftgate lock cylinder switch mounted at the back of the key lock cylinder inside the liftgate. The liftgate cylinder switch cannot be repaired and if it's faulty, has to be replaced.

That very well may be your problem. Check that relay.

Last edited by dochollidae; 09-30-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: missed a comma
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Try swapping the relays and see what happens, I suggest labeling the ASD first just in case you find it to be bad. Maybe unplug PCM and see if you might have had a loose connection too.

Also try to see if you get any DTC's, OBD-II codes are pretty easy to scan and most if not all OBD-II scanners will retrieve codes on this Jeep. Even if you had to buy one, you can find the basic little code readers pretty cheap and chances are that it will work on almost anything 94-95 and up.

Last edited by jnicewan; 10-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.