Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ok what now??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ok what now??

96 4.0L jeep grand cherokee 4wd, 167,000 miles.

ok so ive posted a few problems but was able to fix those up until now. my truck has been running rough and stalling, i also had started problems that are fixed now. this problem is different than the others, so hopefully its not the dreaded fuel pump. when i start my truck up i have to keep the rpms above 3k otherwise the truck stalls. i do this for about 20 seconds and then im able to drive. just last night the truck has been stalling while my rpms are low. when my automatic shifted into overdrive on the freeway the truck kicked and stalled out. in the past i have put the truck into 2nd gear (still an automatic) and rolled on the throttle and the truck would restart. but now when i tried that nothing happened, but i noticed if i stab the gas 2 to 3 times, the truck would start again. and once this happened, i noticed my fuel gauge got low, the fuel light went on and my DTE was around 18 miles, when it read 78miles seconds earlier. heres a list of parts ive changed out lately to fix my other stalling problems:

pulled and cleaned throttle body, IAC and changed the TPS
new crankshaft sensor
fuel filter, plus lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank
plugs, wires, and cap were done at 135,000 so those may need a change

one thing i did notice, and i may try my old one but the TPS was out of a working jeep that was totaled, and when i put on the tps the screw holes didnt line up, they were just barely off. once i slightly turned the tps the screws fit. should the tps just slip right in or do you need to open the throttle slightly for it to line up? otherwise im thinking i may go with injectors next?? im stuck, and i cant get a damn check engine light to help. it came on once and turned off immediately.

thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM

ok since the post i got a 3051 code. i changed out the ignition coil and also got a new plug for the coil since i was told those go bad all the time. the problem fixed for a day or 2 and now its back. i found this stupid website that offers a fix for 20 bucks, the video is EXACTLY what is going on with my truck. seems like this is a problem for this year truck.

www.dyingjeep.com

im not advertising for them, just wanted to share that video in case it helps diagnose the problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Default SOLUTION!!!!.....?????

i know i stated i replaced the crankshaft sensor but it was the camshaft sensor i did. so i went to my reliable jeep recycler (FNJEEP) and got a crank sensor and a MAP sensor. both for 10 bucks each, plus it was an OEM one (good magnet). once i found where the crank sensor went i said, lets start with the MAP sensor. changed it quick and started the truck. i noticed right away my rpms were right at about 800..... sounds perfect now and i havent had any skips or non starts, or stalls or any problem most 96 jeep owners have. I hope i dont have to do the crank sensor anytime soon because thats looks like a pain. and with my luck the truck will be fixed for a day then need the crank sensor...... ohh well knock on uhhh wood??

if you youtube jeep cherokee non starts you will get hundreds of videos asking for help. i have replaced most easy parts (mostly sensors) in most videos but it looks like it came down to the map sensor. good luck because i see a lot of these threads that are very similar. could be a simple 5 minute fix. thanks for reading