Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oh crap, busted tranny seal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Question Oh crap, busted tranny seal?

Hey all,
Really need some insight on this one. I was out driving on some on back roads about a week ago with a couple buddies of mine driving through some nice puddles and having a grand old time. While going through one of the puddles (about 2 feet deep) at about maybe 10 mph, there was a pretty good "BUMP BUMP". Instantly my passenger and me looked at each other wide eyed with that "WTF?!" look on our faces. Kept on driving without noticing any issues.
I got home and checked underneath to see what I hit. I ended up whacking the front edge of the tranny cross member. It left a decent scuff mark but that was the only noticeable damage I saw.
Well, about 3 days ago, I noticed I was leaking tranny fluid from under the tranny fluid pan. I wiped everything down to try to isolate the leak. I checked the dipstick and it was almost clean. I put in a quart of tranny fluid and about 3/4 of a quart of Lucas transmission fluid additive in. I did some driving, about 25 miles, and checked underneath again....lots of dripping from the front of the tranny fluid pan. There is no visible damage to the tran pan, none on the t case or tranny itself.
I'm afraid to ask this possibly stupid/scary question but here goes....is it possible I whacked that cross member so hard that I separated/broke a seal where the tranny meets the engine? I'm going to try and jack it up higher this weekend and do some more sleuthing but figured I'd ask to try and get some ideas first.
I'm hoping it's just the gasket is shot on the pan. I'm planning on draining and changing the filter and gasket when I get I paid but that's not for over a week. I'm not seeing any fluid from anywhere else but the pan.
Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks.