Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

OEM infinity audio demand/interest?

Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default OEM infinity audio demand/interest?

This should probably be in the classified but I was curious if there's any demand for OEM audio hardware. 6 year old CD/CASS & amp.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to replace the head unit AND bypass the amp also. I've had the 97 GCL for a few days and already miss hands free phone, USB, etc.. besides that, audio processing had certainly improved the last 20 years.

Last edited by twinsig; 03-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My 95 ZJ the OEM head unit was replaced with a Kenwood with USB, Bluetooth, Sat, etc. However if I were going to find an aftermarket head unit again I would look for one with a LCD display with large touch screen control buttons.

My Kenwood head unit has a very small lcd display that's difficult to read. The manual control buttons are ridiculously small making it difficult to perform any controls from the head unit.

The OEM head units have large controls for audio, speakers, tone control, etc. which the smaller aftermarket head units lack. The advantage of the smaller aftermarket head units is they normally have usb, bluetooth, sat, etc. however their controls because of their size and small menuing system are inadequate. There is also no way to control the speakers other than going into the small menu system which only offer front and rear speaker controls. No way to control my six OEM speakers, audio tone, etc. The oem head units usually have a 360 deg. control of the speakers plus a set of tone control sliders.

Also the OEM Infinity amp I'm told is not as a good of quality as most built-in aftermarkets amps

I would recommend finding an aftermarket head unit with a large touchscreen and controls. However most of this type of head unit probably won't have 360 deg. speaker control as does the Infinity head units. Most likely will only have front and rear, left and right speaker control, which may not be readily available until going into a software touch screen menuing system.

I've read their cracking down on doing anything while driving. I was told in some jurisdictions is against the law to eat while driving?

These small aftermarket head units because the buttons are so small I sometime push the wrong one. To adjust the speakers I need to pull over to the side of the road and go into a software menu to adjust the speakers.

However some of the larger head unit with large touch screens their adding more manual controls to the head units, similar to older radios where the manual controls are standard.

I would look for one that has a touch screen display with controls for all the speakers, tone, station scan, FM presets, etc. similar to the old style radios with manual controls.

Last edited by Muddz; 03-21-2019 at 04:29 PM.