Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default odometer

Hi - Can anyone tell me if and how a odometer can be rolled back and if it can how could we tell? We found a jeep for sale that had a discrepancy in the odometer reading of 20,000 miles (digital odometer in a 2004 jeep) and we thought that nowadays it was not a possibility....thanks in advance for all your replies!

Jersey4Jeeps
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
The mileage (and VIN #) is stored in the computer, and the dashboard gauge cluster/odometer can be swapped, so I guess that's how they did it. Anytime the gauge cluster/odometer is replaced, they are supposed to attached a certified sticker stating this, and make an adjustment on the vehicles title.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF.
The mileage (and VIN #) is stored in the computer, and the dashboard gauge cluster/odometer can be swapped, so I guess that's how they did it. Anytime the gauge cluster/odometer is replaced, they are supposed to attached a certified sticker stating this, and make an adjustment on the vehicles title.

Thank you for your reply but I am a tad confused....are you saying that the odometer can actually be replaced? vs rolled back?? Also, I am assuming that the Vin# and mileage is stored in the computer that is in the vehicle? Also, a certified sticker would be found in a carfax report, correct? If not the carfax report when would you find this information?

Thanks! Jersey4Jeeps
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Tampering with or rolling back the odometer is a fedral crime.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, the gauge cluster can be replaced.
When an odometer/gauge cluster, needs to be replaced because of damage/accident/replacement, the law requires the discrepancy to be noted on the title and a certified sticker attached. Any reputable seller knows this.
As stated it's a crime to advertise/attempt to sell a vehicle with less miles showing than it actually has. The rear portion of the title usually has a portion that states "Mileage shown is not correct mileage; Mileage not accurate, exceeds mechanical limits of odometer; Actual mileage of vehicle is..." and there is a box after each one to be checked off/filled in.
I would steer clear of the vehicle you're describing.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

I can speak to 2005 Jeeps.
As an authorized Warranty Center for Chrysler's, we were required to report the mileage that the car entered the shop at, and the current mileage which was normally a mile or 2 different. We had to fax over the Repair Order, that had to state Miles and Full VIN. While I never asked, I'm assuming it was for programing the head unit. The "new" unit was overnoighted to us, and we were required to return the "old" unit within 7 days.

That said, does your state do Emission Inspections? That will pretty well pinpoint and funky stuff going on.

Ron
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 AM

Thank you to all that replied to my thread.....all of you have been very informative! Thanks again!! J4J
Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Jersey4Jeeps
Hi - Can anyone tell me if and how a odometer can be rolled back and if it can how could we tell? We found a jeep for sale that had a discrepancy in the odometer reading of 20,000 miles (digital odometer in a 2004 jeep) and we thought that nowadays it was not a possibility....thanks in advance for all your replies!

Jersey4Jeeps
20,000 isn't too bad and when I am suspicious I always ask myself "why would they only roll back 20,000? Why wouldn't they take it back 60 or 70,000?"

How do you know there is a discrepancy on the odometer? The only way to tell is by doing a car fax (or if it was on the title which could be a human error with such a low mile discrepancy).

But to answer your question it is very possible and very easy to roll back the miles on a digital odometer if you know what you are doing and have the device. I personally do not know how to do it or know what to buy but basically you buy a device (looks like the thing that Auto Zone gives you to check the error codes)...All you do is connect it and it takes about 1 minute to reprogram...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=nuC-iU6pIvU
Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thegreatgate
20,000 isn't too bad and when I am suspicious I always ask myself "why would they only roll back 20,000? Why wouldn't they take it back 60 or 70,000?"

How do you know there is a discrepancy on the odometer? The only way to tell is by doing a car fax (or if it was on the title which could be a human error with such a low mile discrepancy).

But to answer your question it is very possible and very easy to roll back the miles on a digital odometer if you know what you are doing and have the device. I personally do not know how to do it or know what to buy but basically you buy a device (looks like the thing that Auto Zone gives you to check the error codes)...All you do is connect it and it takes about 1 minute to reprogram...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuC-iU6pIvU
Things aren't always reported to Carfax, and the DMV doesn't usually make a 20K mileage mistake when filling out the title. If they do walk away. Can you say forgery?
My point was any discrepancy should raise a red flag for you to either look very closely at the vehicle, or walk away and look elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks again for the input.....I have a new question Do vehicles from 2000 on still need front end alignments? Thanks! J4J
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Any vehicle could need an alignment, doesn't matter what year. The think to consider is an alignment is either needed because something is bent, or worn. Slightly bent components can be re-aligned with no major problems but worn components need to be replaced.