Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Not sure what to make of this WJ I want to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Not sure what to make of this WJ I want to buy

Sold my XJ a few years back and bought a full sized Tundra. The Tundra isn't practical anymore so I sold it and I'm looking for a WJ now. Came across this while searching Craigslist. I can't wrap my head around all this "work". It doesn't make sense. What is a reconditioned crankshaft? Was this engine pulled and put back in? They replaced the rings and bearings but no mention of a rebuild? I have so many questions.

Engine was reconditioned with cylinder heads rebuilt with new upgrade valve seats. Also new rings, bearings, oil pump, timing chain, recondition crankshaft a fewer months ago
Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

To answer your crankshaft question, a reconditioned crankshaft is one that has been inspected and ground undersize on the bearings if it's beyond the wear limits. From the list of new parts, there isn't much left out of a total rebuild. Yes, in order to do that work, the engine had to come out of the jeep.

A TOTAL rebuild would include hot-tanking the block to remove deposits in the water jacket, inspection for cracks, new core plugs, honing or boring the cylinders,including new pistons if necessary and other small stuff like cams and rockers. The ad states it was reconditioned, not rebuilt.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-04-2017 at 07:01 AM.