Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

no rewverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default no rewverse issue

hello all - I got suckered in to helping out a gal who does payroll at work. her 2002 grand Cherokee laraedo has no reverse. 4.0 liter . I followed her home and checked things out - starts fine - put in reverse and nothing - put in drive it rolls ahead normal - put in neutral and it rolls ahead - if you slowly move shifter from neutral into reverse or reverse into park "I cant remember now" it would kill the engine.

I looked at linkage ect . and all looked ok and brought it to the shop. I did some reading and some said that there would be bolts broken off laying in pan when it was dropped down - none were found.

I then discovered it was not a 4.7 like she said and did more reading- a snap ring comes apart some times in the rear housing.

I pulled transfer case and then figured it wouldn't be much more work to pull whole thing out instead of trying to do this under the truck when im 6 ft 6in. well I don't see any thing broken or messed up. I pulled the small snap ring out along with a few plates then 2 more snap rings is all the farther I could go. the hub has a little recessed part the ring slides into and think it needs to be pressed down to get ring out. I decided to stop there before I do something I shouldn't. I did notice that that last hub and shaft ect seems to be locked as one no matter what direction or sun gear is held.

could my problem be in the valve body or do I need to pull the front pump out and dig farther? a solenoid? wash my hands of it and get one from bone yard for $300?

I have rebuilt turbo 350 , 700r4, 4l60e, 4l80e. this is my first jeep project and any pointers would be great. thanks for reading and peace
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

wow . hard to believe that no one has looked inside a transmission any farther than doing a filter change. Maybe I am in the wrong place asking for knowledge or pointers ?
well I guess I tried , I will post with what I end up doing as a final result to those who are interested.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, I got out my 42re manual and as near as I can figure the overdrive direct clutch is at fault. It seems to be locked up. I've never had one of these apart but are like you in that I've had THM 350 and 700r4 experience. Just looking thru this manual is scary enough. There seems to be way too many parts and control systems in this thing. I have the ATSG 12Y04 Tech Manual for the 42re and I can send it to you via e-mail if you'll PM me your address.

Be aware that this is a 23MB and 106 pages pdf file. There are complete tear-down and reassembly instructions in it. I signed an agreement not to sell it, but I can share it. It costs $12.99 to download it but I misplaced the website.

In case you don't know how to send me a Private Message, click on my user name and choose from the drop-down menu.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-16-2014 at 01:40 AM.