Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No instrument cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
mxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No instrument cluster lights

Hey all, I just purchased a 97 jeep grand Cherokee limited a few days back and my instrument panel lights aren't working. My idiot lights and blinker lights work fine, I've pulled the thing apart and moved bulbs from where I knew they worked around varios points in the cluster and the bulbs quit workin so I know the bulbs are good. I've already checked all the fuses and they are fine. I'm pretty stumped on this. Also last night I fixed my brake lights that hadn't been working since I bought it. I tried virtually everything and after pulling the fuse and putting it right back in the brake lights suddenly started working. Weird stuff. Anyway any help I can get about the instrument cluster lights would be much appreciated. I'd like to be able to drive the thing at night =p
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Check the dimmer switch.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
mxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Yea I also took that apart an everything seemed to be in working order. I did just order a headlight switch off eBay though just in case. Hopefully that is the issue it seems weird tho that the dimmer switch turns on things like the key hole light and such when fully on. Thanks for the warm welcome =]
Old 04-09-2022, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996, 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5, 4.0

Fuse number 15 on my 1996 XJ began blowing about a month ago. It last for about three or four days and then goes. This fuse feeds the key-in buzzer, the R & L front / side marker lights and turn signals, park lights and headlights, the tail lights and head lights and interior lights (like the overhead and the dash) - and finally the tail lamps and backup lights.

Now here's the haunting thing going on: when the fuse #15 (coincidentally a 15A fuse) blows, the headlights stay on and the turn signals work. How I first discovered this was driving home in the dark and my dash light were dead. I got home and left the car running and got out to do a walkaround and the door buzzer was dead, and the marker and tail lights were out - but the headlights stayed working.

I am Troubleshooting this - but being the inquisitive fellow I sometimes am - I wanted to reach out to my fellow victims of the crazy XJ legacy and see what any of you might have experienced with this.

Cheers from Chris in South Florida