Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No front drive shaft 1993 NP249 test.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default No front drive shaft 1993 NP249 test.

OK, after reading hours of opinions on removing the front drive shaft on a 1993-1995 NP249, I said "screw it", and went ahead and removed it.

A little background:
My viscous coupler is shot. Period. After 165,000 miles, the T Case needs a complete rebuild. After a long drive, the front end binds, creeps, shakes, and makes a creepy moaning sound. We all understand why. The Viscous coupler needs replacing. Why did I consider removing the front drive shaft? Because all of the parts of my front end are in great shape, and I don't want the VC to go completely out, and tear up parts on my front end.

So, after wanting to blow my brains out after reading people argue and fight over whether or not I can remove the front DS on a 1993-1995 NP249 until I have the money saved up to get the transfer case completely rebuilt, I called my Jeep mechanic (of 20 years).

He said YES. He said I have "dealt with 1993-1995 NP249 TC's since they first rolled off the production line". He said "You will notice some loss of acceleration, and you should drive the Jeep lightly (not gun it), but it's a good idea to remove the front DS if you want to save your front end until you get the TC rebuilt". He also said "I've probably had 20 people over the years come in and ask me to remove the front DS because their VC is fried, and I've done it, and never had someone come back wanting to kill me."

So, I removed it.

Results after 100 miles:

EXACTLY AS HE SAID.

I do have a loss of acceleration, but have not noticed, heard, or felt anything that sounds like I'm going to have problems. REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY FOR ABOUT 90 DAYS UNTIL I HAVE THE CASH TO GET A COMPLETE TRANSFER CASE REBUILD.

Also, although I have not tried parking on a hill, I have tried to push the Jeep forward and backward while it's in park, and it does not roll at all.

I will gladly, and honestly report any problems I have in the next 3 months.
DEAN

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 01-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Default Issues Update

As promised, I'm relaying any problems. Yep, it's true. The Jeep will roll in park. My Jeep rolled out of my driveway, and caused a three car pileup in front of my house.

Just kidding.

Seriously, I did take it up on a rather steep hill, and put it in park, and she started rolling.
No big deal. Living in San Francisco for a few years, I learned how to turn the front wheels into the curb. Other than that, I've put a brick in the back for use in other situations.

Also, there is definitely a lack of power during acceleration.

And, I seemed to have lost my "rocket gear". You know, the "passing gear" that takes me from 60 MPH to 100 MPH in 3 - 4 seconds.

I'm 10 weeks away from a complete transfer case rebuild. I'm GUESSING I will hold up OK.

The reason for this thread is to bring real-time-proof-in-the-pudding truth into this topic.

DEAN

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 01-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Good deal man good to hear someone doing it and not just talking about it like the rest of use. I talked about doing it in my 96 limited but steered away from it after thinking about it. I know I wont have the rolling problem like you Im just more worried about things binding up in t case and front end and all. More power to you man for doing thanks for info.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Good deal man good to hear someone doing it and not just talking about it like the rest of use. I talked about doing it in my 96 limited but steered away from it after thinking about it. I know I wont have the rolling problem like you Im just more worried about things binding up in t case and front end and all. More power to you man for doing thanks for info.
The reason for pulling the front DS is to SAVE the front end until the TC gets a rebuild. With the front DS off, the front end is free and happy.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM

Update:

All is good 300 miles in.

The "loss of my passing gear", which I reported is not related. Coincidentally, the TV cable got severed a few days before removing the front drive shaft, when I ran over what looked like a 4x2, while driving on the freeway.

So, at this point, 300 miles in, I have seen no problems whatsoever in removing the front DS, besides the Jeep rolling in park, and a slight loss of off-the-line acceleration. (Which I still don't understand why.)

Remember, this is a test on the 1993-1995 NP249 TC, not the 96 and newer.