Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No codes

I have just picked up for next to nothing a very nice 2004 WJ 2.7CRD. I bought on the basis that the gearbox was in limp home mode. When I got it home and drove it .... the gearbox was fine? Don't understand!
I turned my sights to the dash and saw there was an engine light up and ABS light. I have two scanners and both showed no faults. My efforts to show the codes on the odometer with three switch ons also failed to show any P codes. ?????????
Lastly, there was smoke coming out from under the bonnet which turned to out be oil burning off from the turbo. Likely cause. ????
It runs great and I wouldn't mind trying to sort it out. Anyone got any thoughts?
Best form on WJs by far!
Thanks for reading
Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So are there any mechanical issues or just the warning lights? I had a vehicle where the alternator was failing and started to over charge. It made my engine light and abs light go on FWIW. Maybe find someone with a snap-on modis or some other type of better scanner. Or you could take it to a local shop who has one and pay them to scan it. I assume you are not in the USA as you called it a "bonnet" so not sure how versed in Jeeps mechanics are in your area.

Max
Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That would be a DRB scan tool with a large flat-screen display. It has the ability to find faults that don't show up with a simple OBD scanner. Any "good" shop should have one because they cost around $1000 USD.

It may have an oil leak on the supply pipe for the turbo. It needs LOTS of oil for cooling the bearings. Watch the oil level closely. If the inner seals leak, it can suck oil into the intake and burn it up real quick. In extreme cases, it can cause a "runaway".

Last edited by dave1123; 07-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

So thanks for the replies. This WJ is registered feb 2003 and has the 2.7CRD mercedes engine and gearbox. It has a quadra-trac transfer box.
I got it with a reputed gearbox that was stuck in limp home mode, an engine light, and ABS light.
I connected up my Innova 3130 scan tool. It linked ,said there were no codes. Erased codes and engine light has gone out and stayed out. The enhanced Jeep codes of getting engine and transmission codes wont work. I hace contacted Innova to see whether a software upgrade might be available to get to the ABS codes.
I drove the Jeep up the lane and watched the spped rise with the revs sitting at 2000. Nothing wrong with the gearbox. Well today at least!
Oil is burning off of the body of the turbo. Where could this oil be coming from?
And by the way I live a 100km north east of Bordeaux (france).
My main vehicle is a 2002 WJ V8 with 242 HD transfer box upgrade. Best thing I ever did to the Jeep. ALso converted to run on LPG. Heads lasted more that 150,000 miles before seats gave out and I get reat economy.
The diesel was just a punt for 600 euros (same as bucks) with not a mark on the car and 120k on the clock. Any more thoughts guys and girls?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd say you need to try a different scanner . These engines have a terrible reputation however . I'd need more details to help . Oil is coming out of turbo oil supply line or oil is getting past on the exhaust side ?