Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New WJ head gasket?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New WJ head gasket?

Just picked up a 2000 WJ with a 4.0 for a steal. It has higher miles and was told it needs a head gasket. It runs barely, and has the typical head gasket problems, but no knocking or lower end noises.
My first question is when getting the head gasket set, does brand make a huge difference? I am just going to get the full head gasket kit, but Victor Reinz (never heard of them) is about half the price of the felpro set.
Also head bolts, I was told they are reusable for a second use, but would you recommend trying to reuse them or just spend the extra money to be safe?

Also any other hints/tips for it? I have done one head removal/install on a 1.8T A4 and it wasn't too bad, and know the 4.0 is a pretty simple motor so it shouldn't be too bad.

Pics are coming soon!!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

I'm a mechanic, and in my experience, brand does matter. felpro gaskets are good quality, and any comebacks i have had on felpro gaskets were usually due to another problem(mating surface not cleaned, bent oil pan, user error, etc), not the gasket failing. ive not heard of victor reinz either. usually it doesnt benefit you to use cheap parts, will cost you more in the long run. as for re using the head bolts, they stretch and that is why they say only reuse 1 time. if the head gasket hasnt been replaced before, theres no reason you cant reuse the bolts. seeing as its a 2000 WJ, i would be fearful that you have the dreaded 0331 head casting, which are almost guaranteed to crack eventually. make sure to take it to a machine shop to have the head decked, and have them check for cracks. im in the process of rebuilding a 00' XJ with a cracked head, just waiting on a damn piston that was supposed to be to me last friday if you do in fact have a cracked head, alabama cylinder head, and clearwater cylinder head both make a good aftermarket replacement head, that is stronger than the original 0331. good luck, let us know how it goes!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NCMetalMechanic
I'm a mechanic, and in my experience, brand does matter. felpro gaskets are good quality, and any comebacks i have had on felpro gaskets were usually due to another problem(mating surface not cleaned, bent oil pan, user error, etc), not the gasket failing. ive not heard of victor reinz either. usually it doesnt benefit you to use cheap parts, will cost you more in the long run. as for re using the head bolts, they stretch and that is why they say only reuse 1 time. if the head gasket hasnt been replaced before, theres no reason you cant reuse the bolts. seeing as its a 2000 WJ, i would be fearful that you have the dreaded 0331 head casting, which are almost guaranteed to crack eventually. make sure to take it to a machine shop to have the head decked, and have them check for cracks. im in the process of rebuilding a 00' XJ with a cracked head, just waiting on a damn piston that was supposed to be to me last friday if you do in fact have a cracked head, alabama cylinder head, and clearwater cylinder head both make a good aftermarket replacement head, that is stronger than the original 0331. good luck, let us know how it goes!!!
Thanks for the advice and hope you get your piston in soon! and it may be a 0331 head, but worst case senario is it needs a head. Actually found it on C-list saying it needed a motor, he started it up and fired up fine and idled, but you could tell it was a head gasket problem, even drove us around the block to make sure everything else (tranny t-case axles etc) were still good. So were taking the head to the local machine shop and getting it cleaned and tested and am hoping to get off very easy and lucky on it!
I've never tore into a 4.0 before (never really need to even with a XJ at 230k) but is there any work, porting or boring intake or exhaust holes that could be done realitively easily for a little power gain while its already at the shop??

Thanks!