Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New Owner-random questions- Fuel door E brake

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Owner-random questions- Fuel door E brake

Happy Turkey day to all-

In between stuffing the bird and making pies I was taking a break and wanted to find some advice on my new purchase.

Last week I found a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo, with 140k and I feel I stole it for a whopping $975. The interior is immaculate and has been well cared for but it did need some maintenance items.

I started with an oil change and Gumout Motor flush, Antifreeze dump and replacement, Front brakes and rotors, upper lower radiator hoses, rear pads and rotors. I have plugs and wires just havent installed them yet.

On to the questions- My fuel door stays open. The plunger that holds the fuel door closed has sheared and the door will not stay shut. How do you remove and replace this item?

I think my vehicle is missing the emergency/parking brake hardware. All of it! The vehicle spent some time up north and it may have froze or rusted and they removed the shoes. does anyone have a picture with the rotor off the rear wheel?

Thanks in advance, Im sure more questions will follow as I work on it.

Kyle
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The fuel door, not sure how to replace that plunger. Most people switch to a TJ aftermarket fuel door when that happens.....
Old 11-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I read a post where someone was fixing them by screwing a screw in the place where it broke. I have not looked at this up close but sounds like you may be able to redneck fix it.

Also you can access the door from inside the back. There is a cover there to pull off.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 AM

I was able to get the plunger out, it seems it does not separate from the cable, so its one complete piece. I am going to try and put in a screw and see if that works. My next step will be to disable the spring on the fuel door that keeps propping it open.

Kyle
Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Don't know how much help this is, but this is what I found when I bought my 95 ZJ.

And while this was off my old FWD minivan, you should see most of this only smaller and laid out a bit differently. Except there won't be that wheel cylinder.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by krm944
Happy Turkey day to all-

In between stuffing the bird and making pies I was taking a break and wanted to find some advice on my new purchase.

Last week I found a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo, with 140k and I feel I stole it for a whopping $975. The interior is immaculate and has been well cared for but it did need some maintenance items.

I started with an oil change and Gumout Motor flush, Antifreeze dump and replacement, Front brakes and rotors, upper lower radiator hoses, rear pads and rotors. I have plugs and wires just havent installed them yet.

On to the questions- My fuel door stays open. The plunger that holds the fuel door closed has sheared and the door will not stay shut. How do you remove and replace this item?

I think my vehicle is missing the emergency/parking brake hardware. All of it! The vehicle spent some time up north and it may have froze or rusted and they removed the shoes. does anyone have a picture with the rotor off the rear wheel?

Thanks in advance, Im sure more questions will follow as I work on it.

Kyle
I always buy a Chilton or Haynes manual for each vehicle I own. That way I have a break down of brakes and or things that I'm working on.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.9

you can access that plunger by removing the spare than the access panel
as far as the brake id have a shop check it out..most brake shops have free inspections