Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

***new guy with lift questions***

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default ***new guy with lift questions***

Ok so Im totally new to jeeps. (Actually 4x4 completly) Ive been doing alot of searching but just haveing kind of a hard time putting everything together and understand it completly. What Im looking to do is lift my 96 ZJ and fit a set of 31's or 33's under it for memorial day weekend. (quick and inexpensive) Im going to swap the rear springs to the front since I have the 5.2 and Ive gathered that that should give me about 3.5" of rear lift. So now the next question to you all is whats going to be my best bet to match the front with the same amount of lift? What brand springs should I get? Rustys? And the next question is am I going to need to get diff. control arm and trac bars for this amount of lift or will stockers work for now until I save up a couple bucks and purchase a good aftermarket set?

I guess what Im trying to ask in a nutshell is can I do the front to rear swap, buy a set of front springs throw them in and get a set of sway links and discos and be able to run it no worries.

Sorry if this comes up all the time.

Thanks alot in advance,
Cody
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

the search feature can be very useful
Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Here is basically everything you need for now. I do recommend a new front trac bar. I am running this one from them! It is very strong and solid! I didn't go the f-r route but instead did a 2.5" BB plus a set of Up Country Springs and that net me around 3.75-4" of lift. The Up Country Springs sit an inch taller then the non UC ones. I was able to put my 34" LTBs under it with minor cutting to the bumper and pounding the pinch seam in.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by country_boy454
Here is basically everything you need for now. I do recommend a new front trac bar. I am running this one from them! It is very strong and solid! I didn't go the f-r route but instead did a 2.5" BB plus a set of Up Country Springs and that net me around 3.75-4" of lift. The Up Country Springs sit an inch taller then the non UC ones. I was able to put my 34" LTBs under it with minor cutting to the bumper and pounding the pinch seam in.

Thanks alot of the helpful info and the link to a trac bar. So i take it that the factory control arms are fine to run with this amount of lift? And whats the "pinch seam"?

Thanks again,
Cody
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

I'm running my stock ones but then again I don't do major offroading with this Jeep! My XJ is built just for that. I think it would be wise to eventually get some aftermarket ones whether it be of the fixed length or adjustable if you wanna add more lift later. They are a lot stronger than the factory ones.

Pinch Seam: