Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need some help

I have a 1992 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 that's having some difficulties. It recently has been up (at, about, or around) to its headlights in water on some trails.

After riding, I continued to drive it without flaw for 3 days+/-. Eventually, on the way home from work one evening, I was riding down the road and all of the lights went dim, radio shut off, etc. although the vehicle continued to run. After parking it for the night, I went to start it again, and only did it start after a jump.

So, I replaced the alternator, charged up the battery, and it ran like a champ again. Except for the fact that the day after I changed the alternator, on the way to work, the vehicle stalled - IN GEAR - as I was driving down the road. After a day of sitting roadside, changing the plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter, fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor, and distributor cap+rotor - I was able to fire it right up from a jump start, and it ran perfectly until I got home. I started it again, and it ran perfectly 2 more times. Then afterword, and every time I start it now, it will run perfectly for about 2 seconds and then begin to misfire and generally sounds like crap. In addition to that, since its been in this state, I've also had it backfire on me once after getting it started.

Where do I go from here? (also, it has good fuel pressure)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

Originally Posted by MrRed1911
I have a 1992 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 that's having some difficulties. It recently has been up (at, about, or around) to its headlights in water on some trails.

After riding, I continued to drive it without flaw for 3 days+/-. Eventually, on the way home from work one evening, I was riding down the road and all of the lights went dim, radio shut off, etc. although the vehicle continued to run. After parking it for the night, I went to start it again, and only did it start after a jump.

So, I replaced the alternator, charged up the battery, and it ran like a champ again. Except for the fact that the day after I changed the alternator, on the way to work, the vehicle stalled - IN GEAR - as I was driving down the road. After a day of sitting roadside, changing the plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter, fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor, and distributor cap+rotor - I was able to fire it right up from a jump start, and it ran perfectly until I got home. I started it again, and it ran perfectly 2 more times. Then afterword, and every time I start it now, it will run perfectly for about 2 seconds and then begin to misfire and generally sounds like crap. In addition to that, since its been in this state, I've also had it backfire on me once after getting it started.

Where do I go from here? (also, it has good fuel pressure)
Have you tried replacing your ASD relay? I've heard of those going bad and causing similar issues. I believe the relay is position 15 in the fuse panel under the hood. If not that bad seals on your PCM box could allow moister to get in and making things go funny.