Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: straight six
Default need some help

Hello all!! Brand new to forum very first post! Got my first Jeep product ever 3 days ago. 1996 jeep grand cherokee straight six with auto transmission laredo edition.200,000 thousand miles on it... eek i know high miles, but i got it on the cheap. So it needs some work to say the least. OK that being said it is giving me some grief the past couple mornings. chilly damp air. had trouble starting it, finally after gettin it started, driving it about a mile... interrmittent shut offs like fuel deprived... took a few tries to get restarted. driving and shuts off.... wait a few minutes and restarts. So after reading some on here, i replace fuel filter and air filter. seemed to fix the problem, although it was much warmer and drier then. This morning monday, same morning conditions, a little trouble starting 2 tries, BOOM , backfires to the point it popped muffler.

So was wondering if anyone has advice on what this could be and how to fix it.runs great during the warm part of the day and apparently doesnt like cool damp mornings! Any advice would be great, since i know nothing of jeeps.

Posted in wrong section earlier...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Welcome to the Forum.

When the car shuts off does it turn off rather abruptly or does it idle way down, sputters then dies? THis is important because it can mean two different things.

If it shuts off abruptly, it can mean something wrong with the ignition system. Older electrical systems that have not been maintained very well (not saying that your not doing any maint.) will suffer from temperature changes, among many other things.

If it idles down then then slowly dies out, it can mean a fuel problem. Check fuel pressure.

I would recommend a full tune up as a start. Replace spark plugs, Distributor Cap, Rotor and wires. It also wouldn't hurt to have someone check your fuel pressure and your timing, there is the possibility that your timing chain is worn. The Timing Chain drives your camshaft which in turn drives your distributor, it may be the reason why it is hard to start and the reason why your muffler blew out due to the backfire.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Well it idles low, so the shut off is very abrupt. this morning when it did the backfire it was on second try to start. the check engine light is on and the code given was o2 sensor... not specific..

as for maintenance i dont really know how it was maintained... i just bought it 4 days ago.

i did the tune up the first day changed oil checked plugs wires and such... all replaced by previous owner for the sale of vehicle.

it runs good when warm and dry out.... just the ealry mornings when its damp and cool does it give trouble...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default If it's a cold hard start

Hey, if it's a cold hard start with a rough idle til warm, the first place I would look is the distributor. Moister in the cap will cause hard starts with backfire, sound like you just need a good tune up...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Smile

thanks for the advice yall.... i have replaced coil wires and plugs...seems to have helped it run better ... tommorow morning will be the test i guess
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM

OK this morning was same type day cool wet morning and to my amazement the jeep started right up with no problems or small tail pipe explosions.... thanks for the good advice...