Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Whine sound at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Whine sound at low speeds

Hey guys I need some help figuring out what is making this noise.

96 Grand Cherokee limited 5.2, 249 transfer case, 112,869 miles.

When going through a parking lot, or pulling into the driveway slow, I hear a whine noise. The sound slows down with the vehicle. The best I can describe it is like an old tractor in real low gear. Also when the transmission shifts into 3rd at a low speed and let of the gas I hear a clunk under my feet.

When driving faster I can't hear it, the Jeep don't shake, vibrate or anything.

I have had the Jeep for about 6 months. Since then I have dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter and refilled with ATF4. No metal chips in there. Changed diff fluid in both with Lucas 80W-90, sprayed them out good with brake cleaner, no metal chips, just a dark gray color. The CV boots were split open so I replaced the whole axles. Driver side hub wheel bearing had movement so I changed that.

I think the VC in the transfer case is bad, front tires wearing on the outside and turning sharp in a parking lot it felt like it was locked in all the time. So I removed the front drive shaft. It still makes the noise and turning sharp in a parking lot the front tires chirp.

Front drive shaft is still removed, I pushed up and down, sideways on the rear drive shaft and I don't see any play in the U joints.

The only thing I can see is the transmission mount on the cross member is ripped a little. When driving on an uneven road it wants to go side to side, But on a smooth road it drives straight, but the steering wheel is off just a little bit.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.