Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need help with new purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7
Question Need help with new purchase.

Hello, This is my first post and just wanted to say HI and ask 2 questions.

I just baught my 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo yesterday and have been searching all over the place for these answers.

I don't have keyless entry(atleast no fab) and was wondering how to tell if there was a keyless entry system already installed? Just curious to see if the previous owner may have just kept the fabs, this way i can just buy fabs instead of the whole system.

When i purchased the GC the sales rep gave me 2 keys one thicker other just a regular key that you can get from a hardware store; well I used the regular key and after about 3 seconds she dies and wont restart, if i use the other key stay running perfect. What's up with that?

I like my Jeep but i have 30 days to figure out if i really like it, I may try and get a GC limited (just for the added comforts) seeing i can't afford a SRT8. I have decided to stay with a Jeep for my purchase (which one is unsure yet) once i can get these things figured out I would like to use it to mud and trail eventually pending on money of course.
I look forward to being on this forum for awhile, so once again Hello.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

hi Jester, welcome to the forum from socal!
ask your local dealership to run the VIN number and they can tell you if it had factory keyless entry or not.
no idea about the key thing, thats weird, but I'm not as familiar with grand cherokees so I'm sure someone else can help you out.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre

Your jeep requires a chip in the key to keep running. If you don't have the chip in your key after you turn the jeep on the sensor turns on and kills the motor. but the other thicker key has the chip. You can get the dealer to make a key with the VIN so you have the right chip in the key if you decide to get another key made (around $120 a key)
Dan4governor was right though give a jeep dealership your VIN and they can tell you if you have keyless entry

Remeber added comforts means more electroics, more electronics means more motors and electrical stuff to replace. A lot of money lol

My wife has a Grand Cherokee and it took a while to figure everything out on that thing lol I love the jeep though it has a strong V8 AWD I like my 89 a little better though

Last edited by 89cherokeelimited; 07-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

First of a welcome to the forums.

Its a little odd that your Grand Cherokee didnt come with keyless entry. It should of. It sounds like the previous owner had no idea what he was doing, seeing how he had a key made without the chip. He probably just misplaced the key fabs.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Read this regarding your keys: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_sentry_key.htm
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter I-6
Default Keys

Two keys are normal and you should have keyless entry as it is pretty much standard.

One key is the master and will open/operate everything the other is a slave key which will only operate certain things on the GC.

There are aftermarket key FOBS available that are much cheaper than what Jeep charges.