Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need help - 99' WJ 4.0 - Fuel Filter Quick Release clip mangled

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need help - 99' WJ 4.0 - Fuel Filter Quick Release clip mangled

Hi folks
I was attempting to help a friend change a fuel filter on his 1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 4.0L

We got 2 of the 3 connectors released, but the round quick release for the fuel tank pressure line ended up being super brittle and broke off partially inside the metal surround.

It was not possible to fit any of my fuel rail disconnect tools (plastic or the metal "scissor" style one) on this connector to try and push it towards the metal surround and release the filter. I tried for like an hour, and the closest I got was using a 10mm wrench around the filter nipple, pushing towards the fuel line and trying to pull the filter away at the same time (you really need 3 hands for that, thanks Jeep). In the process, the brittle plastic quick-release connector ended breaking off where it sticks out of the metal surround. Now only half of the accessible plastic remains, and I have nothing to push it on.

Does anyone have any good tips to proceed? The other 2 quick release connectors seemed to be removable after the fuel filter was disconnected (meaning replaceable) and I am wondering if I can buy a replacement quick release clip.

Here is a crappy MS Paint edit of what im talking about. The fuel line is the one circled in red (I think the pressure line from the pump), and the clip is broken off roughly where the green line dictates.

I am thinking of either;

1. Modifying my metal quick-release tool by grinding it down so I have room to slide it on the filter nipple, hoping to successfully release the quick connector

2. Cut the filter nipple off, mangle the hell out of the plastic to get it off the fuel line.

Either way, I would like to replace the plastic quick-release connector because as it sits, I can't really pry on it because only 50% of the strength remains and it just wants to crumble. The inner part is fully in-tact though and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to release

Was under there for 3 hours probably and ended up having to abort

Last edited by investinwaffles; 02-05-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I believe that line you're talking about is the overpressure return to tank. The pressure regulator is in the filter on the discharge to the engine and everything else goes back to the tank. I had this problem with my 2000 WJ and we used a rubber hose and clamps to replace it. It hasn't leaked yet. That bulge on the filter doesn't allow the hose to slip off. I tightened the clamp until the rubber started squeezing thru the clamp slots. I used a double clamp on the fuel line after cutting the connector off.

Yes, it's a barnyard fix, but it works. The major problem with those connectors is they get full of grit and there's no room for the locking tabs to release. PB Blaster and compressed air sometimes help it you try that first!

Last edited by dave1123; 02-05-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had to cut the nipple off of the fuel filter, then dig out the bits of the old clip with a dental pick. The clips are available from Mopar (NOS) or Dorman (or in it's many private labels such as 'Help'). Good luck, be careful & while working on fuel systems, have a fire extinguisher nearby.