Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need help With '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Need help With '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Ok so I have been having problems with my Jeep for some time now. The main issue is the car alarm will randomly keep activating and I am not positive why it is. What happens is I will unlock my door and as soon as I open it, the car alarm just goes off. There were times where I would disconnect my battery and wait a day or two, then it would work again. I would go about a month of it randomly happening but turning my key would stop it.

Now here is where I think the problem is, I have also be having problems with my trunk. It is jammed and when I make a left turn it says it is open and when I make a right turn it says it is closed. When I go over a bump it says it is open (I think you get the picture). I had a mechanic come over stating that it was a problem with the latch and he can pop it open. He comes over, opens the top flip gate, unscrews the door so he can get in-between and gets a wire so he can pull on the lifting gate thing. He is pulling for 20 minutes and it will not budge. This was in April.

Fast forward to today. The alarm won't shut off and I think it is the trunk, I decide to open it up and look around. I get my hand in there to start feeling around where the latch thing is and I find this thing lose inside my trunk.

Name:  Vpk43As.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  46.9 KB

I have no Idea what it is and one side seems to have a clicking thing. Anyways I take it out and find the latch thing and pull on it with a wire for about an hour. The thing still will not go up. There is no room to work inside a trunk that cannot open and I have cuts all over my arms from trying figure out where the latch is. I have no idea whether I should just trade this thing in or if this problem will not be to expensive to fix. As much as I hate to say it, after dealing with one mechanic who thought he knew the answer, I am about to just bring it to a Jeep dealership
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Model: Cherokee

Take the panel off the back hatch. Take a look at the switch that senses the back window open. It's a silver pin with a torx head to hold it in, on the right side of the latch when you look at it from inside. If you look, you'll see the head is separating at an angle from the unit. Unplug the harness, take it out, press it back in tight and form the lip back around it with a pair of pliers. It starts coming apart and it thinks the window has been opened.

Sucks at 2am when is cools down and sets it off in a townhouse complex.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 AM

I dont think it is the window but the door itself. Since the door is jammed, will not open, cannot even put the key in to open it up. I tried what you said but it didn't work. Is there any other way I can get the back gate open if something is jamming it? Luckily my horn doesnt work when my car alarm goes off.

Last edited by DipsetChristmas; 07-08-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by DipsetChristmas
I dont think it is the window but the door itself. Since the door is jammed, will not open, cannot even put the key in to open it up. I tried what you said but it didn't work. Is there any other way I can get the back gate open if something is jamming it? Luckily my horn doesnt work when my car alarm goes off.
latch is jammed up. what you need to do is crawl inside the jeep and remove the interior panel on the tailgate. unfortunately this usually involves cracking the panel. then reach inside the door and find the little rod that goes from the handle down to the latch. pull back on the door (like youre pulling it closed) and at the same time, pull up on that rod. the door should pop open
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dnuccio
latch is jammed up. what you need to do is crawl inside the jeep and remove the interior panel on the tailgate. unfortunately this usually involves cracking the panel. then reach inside the door and find the little rod that goes from the handle down to the latch. pull back on the door (like youre pulling it closed) and at the same time, pull up on that rod. the door should pop open
Tried it, it won't budge for some reason. Used some wire to wrap around it and tried pulling it as hard as I could. I don't know if this info helps but when I try to put my key in the back tailgate and turn it, it doesn't move either.