Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need good seats for the ZJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need good seats for the ZJ

I broke my back last summer and have rods and screws holding me together. My ZJ seats were already shot, but now they are difficult to spend any time in. What I need are some decent seats, that are supportive, have adjustable lumbar support and are power adjustable. I'm looking at junkyard seats to begin with. Aftermarket seats usually have too high of a thigh bolster for me to climb over.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!!

And just because I know some are morbid enough to ask, here is my Xray..
Name:  Surgery014.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  42.2 KB
I crushed my T9 vertebra and damaged the T7, 8 and 10.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Looks kind of like my x-ray, broke my back in 2002 from a motorcycle crash. After some rods, screws, bone grafts, and fusing I'm as good as new. Well, almost new. Do you have power seats now? You can have an upholstry shop replace the foam with something a little more firm amd the can build up the areas you need more support. I've searched for new OEM and aftermarket moulded seat foam for my driver seat, it's just not out there. An upholstry shop is my only choice to build up my sacked out seat bottom.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I also had thre cracked vertbra in my neck, an occypital avulsion (chunk of bone pulled from the skull), 4 broken ribs and a bunch of muscle and tendon damage. Just short of 9 months ago. Bicycle crash at 40 MPH headfirst when the front tire went flat. Concussion, but the helmet saved my life. My friend with me is a former EMT and all but sat on me to keep me down, or I'd be in a chair now.

Yes, I have power seats. I'm considering an upholstery shop for the ZJ and my Neon. Maybe add an air adjustable lumbar support.

I came close to getting some Corbeau GTS II seats that were on a local board, until I saw the high thigh bolsters.

Nice to know I'm not alone in my quest. I'm doing really good overall. Been off pain drugs since XMas. Use heat, stimulation, massage and muscle relaxers now. Been back in the gym since January and finished physical therapy in mid March. Those first days when I couldn't feel or move my legs were scary. But once I could feel them, then shuffle around with assistance, I've had to be reigned in a few times... No. I have yet to be on a bicycle yet. Soon though. No downhill. Thanks for the tip Brother.