Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

n00b here, point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default n00b here, point me in the right direction

Ok, so I just bought my first Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ('98, 5.2l V8)

There are a few issues that it has that I'd like to fix I have been googling like crazy and searching on here, maybe I just suck at searching but I can not find anything solid on these issues::

Passenger seat heater doesn't work (Light doesn't pulse, and I can not located the circuit breaker?? for it)

Sunroof doesn't go in any direction I can hear the motor working and it just clicks???(no movement at all)

Rear Wiper arm doesn't work (Washer fluid does)

When the lights are in "AUTO" at night the head lights flash as well as everything inside ( when the lights are on normal, everything works as it should; ONLY in auto does it act like this)

Stock radio intermittently turns on and off/ controls behind the steering wheel work when they want to....

Through searching it seems that some of these are pretty common but I have no idea what people are talking about when they are troubleshooting some of these and fixing them.

HELP!!

TIA

Last edited by photec2; 02-02-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Any one?? Now my door locks, lock and unlock randomly and my interior lights brighten and dim all by them selves.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

sounds like you have a wiring problem
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Awesome! Your cool....I'm trying to see if this is a fairly common problem OR maybe someone has seen this before.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent sarcasm. Maybe if you post in the introduction part first and post a little more maybe you would get more responses, but since you are just going to leave anyways after you find your answer were not too helpful then.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Don't be a dick, photec. I think he was honestly trying to help. Anyways, I've heard of this, quite a few times in fact. I guess it's a weird electrical issue in the Grand Cherokees. That's about all I know on the matter but there are plenty of people here who can give you some good info on this.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by photec2
Ok, so I just bought my first Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ('98, 5.2l V8)

There are a few issues that it has that I'd like to fix I have been googling like crazy and searching on here, maybe I just suck at searching but I can not find anything solid on these issues::

Passenger seat heater doesn't work (Light doesn't pulse, and I can not located the circuit breaker?? for it)

Sunroof doesn't go in any direction I can hear the motor working and it just clicks???(no movement at all)

Rear Wiper arm doesn't work (Washer fluid does)

When the lights are in "AUTO" at night the head lights flash as well as everything inside ( when the lights are on normal, everything works as it should; ONLY in auto does it act like this)

Stock radio intermittently turns on and off/ controls behind the steering wheel work when they want to....

Through searching it seems that some of these are pretty common but I have no idea what people are talking about when they are troubleshooting some of these and fixing them.

HELP!!

TIA
As far as the sunroof goes, since you hear the motor, my suggestion would be to find a diagram of sorts, to see what the motor operates...I have a hunch that the problem lies with what the motor moves to slide the glass. Probably just something thats plastic that wore away with time.

Seat heater- If you need a wiring diagram, PM me and ill take some time to find it for you (or other possible wiring diagrams you need, just let me know, make sure you give me an email addy though).

The wiper motors seem to commonly fail on the zj's....If you were going to diagnose that, i would start by trying to move it by hand, to see if its froze up, if it is, try to break it free with some pb blast or something (be careful to NOT break the wiper arm). If it doesnt work from there (if you get it freed up if it was frozen), check the fuse, from there check to see if it has power at the motor plug....that should tell you what sort of issue it is with it and go from there.

The AUTO function...now is that like when you have it on, the lights automatically come on when dark?

The radio and stuff I honestly dont know, but by them going in and out, my GUESS would have to be its either losing feed power, or ground somehow. Maybe they share a common feed or ground or something that could be looked into. (again you need a diagram, ill see if i can find it)

That lock and unlock thing happens on a friends 96 gc. Along with the center console screen freaking out all the time. If you find something on that, please share it. I would LOVE to hear what in the heck that is! Drives me NUTS when im in there...

Also your last paragraph there, if you need help with term descriptions, parts, or whatever is confusing you, dont be afraid to ask what it is....I know that most of us will try to help. You need to learn and start somewhere! Im sure we have all had that at some time or another!

Last edited by storm101; 02-05-2010 at 10:33 PM.