Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

My ZJ no start....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6
Angry My ZJ no start....

I have a 1995 and I went outside at 8:30pm and it had been running just fine all day and it would not start. It will crank and crank and crank but nothing. My lights, sterio and battery are good. (My ex grounded himself out.....) Can you hear the fuel pumps kick on in these? If so, I could not hear it so I think that it went out. Please help!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge, or at least push in on the valve to see if fuel comes out with a spuirt. If it's drier than a popcorn fart, swap the fuel pump relay with another and see what happens, if you still have nothing it will most likely be the fuel pump. But before you go dropping the tank you need to check for spark, check the fuses, swap the pump relay, swap the ASD relay just to make sure you're not blowing money. Always replace the fuel filter when replacing the pump.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM

My line is dryer then a popcorn fart. It is the fuel pump. You can hear it sometimes kick on after you hit where it is supposed to be at, but nada comes out. Does anyone know where I can find a CHEEP one?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

if it's kicking on, it's not the pump. Make sure you are testing the right thing. It sounds more like the CKS than the FP because it drove until you parked it.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

A cheap pump will only leave you stranded again. But check out www.rockauto.com for a complete fuel pump module.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

it could still be the fuel pump even tho it is priming. Went through this problem about a month ago, fuel pump would prime but jeep had a really hard time starting. Then it would randomly die and lose power under hard acceleration. Take off intake and spray starting fluid in the throttle body while trying to start it, not alot, if it starts then its most likely a fuel problem. Best way to know is hook a Fuel pressure gauge up to schrader valve and test pressure. Should jump any where between 31 and 51psi upon startup, then come down to 31psi while running.
Also unhook vacuum line from fuel regulator and the fuel pressure should jump up to 41psi, if it doesnt then the regulator is bad or fuel return line is clogged.
make sure to check ASD relay.
Other things it may be are Crank position sensor, Camshaft position sensor, Pcm, Coil, or ground. Let us know what happens with the fuel first tho.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and i bought a fuel pump from autozone, 192$, 2 yr warranty and it works like a charm. Granted i have only been using it for a month
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by customzj73
it could still be the fuel pump even tho it is priming. Went through this problem about a month ago, fuel pump would prime but jeep had a really hard time starting. Then it would randomly die and lose power under hard acceleration. Take off intake and spray starting fluid in the throttle body while trying to start it, not alot, if it starts then its most likely a fuel problem. Best way to know is hook a Fuel pressure gauge up to schrader valve and test pressure. Should jump any where between 31 and 51psi upon startup, then come down to 31psi while running.
Also unhook vacuum line from fuel regulator and the fuel pressure should jump up to 41psi, if it doesnt then the regulator is bad or fuel return line is clogged.
Other things it may be are Crank position sensor, Camshaft position sensor, Pcm, Coil, or ground. Let us know what happens with the fuel first tho.
The 95 is a returnless fuel system without a rail mounted regulator and the pressure spec is 44-56psi. But you do make a great point, if it will start with starting fluid, chances are very good the fuel pump is the culprit.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by customzj73
The 95 is a returnless fuel system without a rail mounted regulator and the pressure spec is 44-56psi. But you do make a great point, if it will start with starting fluid, chances are very good the fuel pump is the culprit.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Oh my bad mine is a 93 so I memorized all the data on it! But ya I hope this helps
Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'll find out. I asked my dad about it because he had a 1974 grand cherokee and the same thing happened. Only he relpaced just the fuel pump and about 2 weeks later the whole module went out. I got the right module from e-bay for $105. We'll see if that works. I had my ex get under my truck and out of the 10 or so times that I tried to start it the fuel pump only kicked on twice and no fuel came out..... The sucky thing is I have almost a full tank of gas.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Fuel pumps never seem to go out when the tank is empty, Murphy's law.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Yep. That is $65 bucks in gas that I could use. I am driving my mom's car for now and I hate it cuz it is small and has no power behind it. I went to pass a car and said "Oh well. Not happening." I can't wait until my part gets here!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

I'm guessing it wasn't a 74 grand cherokee... did you mean grand wagoneer? Did your fuel pump come with a warranty?... I would hate for you to have saved a little money only for it to go bad soon and not have a warranty...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM

It was a Grand Wagoneer... I did get an 18 month warrenty with it. The cheeper one only had a year warrenty. I spent the extra $20 and went for the one with the better warrenty. It's better then paying $300 - $400 for a assy out where I am. I am not made of cash.... even though some people think I am because I know how to spend my money..... ....Morons.....

Quick Reply: My ZJ no start....