Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

miss fire hard start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default miss fire hard start

Hello i have a 95 grand cherokee 5.2L aprox 185k has been running great until today the wife took it to wal-mart ran fine there. when she left it was hard to start and has a miss she picked me up from work shut it off and it wouldnt start unless i held the gas pedal to the floor.got it home i pulled all the plugs and check the gaps(they were just put in this summer) all looked good there checked all the plug wires and they also were fine..went to the store started ok but still miss..wants to die at stop lights/signs and when you accelerate it has a few second hesitation.when leaving the store it wouldnt start again until i held it to the floor real gassy smell when it started.as the wife describes it is sounds like an old farm truck when its running.. no check engine light..sounds like an old carberated car choking..being on a low budget i really dont have the funds to hit and miss right now so figured this looked like a good place to start..if any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Last edited by leftys4js; 01-18-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

did you change the cap and rotor when you changed the plugs?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6l

hi, I had the same problem with my grandcherokee 96 i spend so much money on parts,. and the problem continue., my friend search on the web and found that others had the same problem and they fix it by replacing or cleaning the IAC valve i replace it was very easy and with a heavy duty engine cleaner i clean the throttler body. my problem is solved, now runs nice. the idle aire control or IAC is about $38, also check there is 2 screws silver color on front of the computer loose them about 3 turns that also cause me problems in the pass. those screws after awhile put to ground the computer's circuit borad making my jeep no start and turn off on stops. good luck.!!