Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Massive coolant leak on 94 GC

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Massive coolant leak on 94 GC

So long story short I came out to see my 1994 grand cherokee with a massive coolant leak this morning leaving for work. I was in work clothes and did not have enough time to get under there and see what happened, so I took my trans am. i have notived that there has been a squeling noise coming from the engine, almost like the belt starting to whine a bit. My question is what you all think it most likely is, seeing as it will be stuck at work for a while..What would cause coolant go evvvvverywhere...maybe the waterpump went?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

A failed water pump wouldn't usually cause a "massive leak". It sounds more like a bad freeze/core plug. Go to the auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. Remove the rad. cap. If it's real low top it off with water and attach the tester to the rad. Pump it up to the 16 PSI or whatever your cap says and watch for the leak to show itself. Engine should be off.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol"blue
A failed water pump wouldn't usually cause a "massive leak". It sounds more like a bad freeze/core plug. Go to the auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. Remove the rad. cap. If it's real low top it off with water and attach the tester to the rad. Pump it up to the 16 PSI or whatever your cap says and watch for the leak to show itself. Engine should be off.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Thanks for the feedback! Couple of things I noticed when I got under there a few minutes ago. I started the engine for a minute to see of it would drip, and its dripping from between the front oil pan seal and the crank pulley. Noticed the fan has a slight wobble to it, so thats what made me think it was a bad WP. I will get a pressure tester and see whats up.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

What motor do you have?

The V8's have a small rubber hose on the drivers side of water pump that are known to leak and run down where your explaining.

If it's the 4.0 i'd expect the water pump's weap hole is leaking... or the lower hose.

Grab the fan blade (when NOT running) and see if it has any movement. That'll indicate a bad bearing.