Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Mail carrier sitting on e brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Mail carrier sitting on e brake

hello, I am a mail carrier and last winter my old jeep finally died and I had to hurry and get something else to work in. I bought a 2003 grand limited. Since I have to ride in the middle (yes I do know about rh drives, it is what it is) the console is out but I sit on the hand brake and that thing has got to go. I want to relocate it closer to the fire wall , down on the passenger side where I can reach it but yet have it out of the way. Basically it will be still on the hump. what needs to take place so this can happen? I can't find any thing on relocating a 2003 grand e-brake.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

You can probably use a locking hand brake lever similar to those used on forklifts, but your going to have to make custom cables or make extensions for them. Also, you'll have to figure out how to make them clear the t/case.
One method would be like my Chevy truck where the two cables hooked together underneath the t/case and the handle cable was connected to a y-shaped yoke that hooked over the main cable and pulled near the center. Actually, now that I think about it, there was a hook link that fit into the frame at a point opposite the handle so the 2 cables from the drums pulled straight forward so only one cable went under the t/case. Go look at a 80's Chevy truck to see what I mean.

I can see where sitting on that handle could be QUITE uncomfortable.

One other thing. Some of the early 60's full sized Chrysler products had 2 bucket seats mounted on a single rail with a nice plush cushion in the center to make it a full bench seat. That cushion would be nice mounted on your trans hump. Those even had a backrest that folded down into an armrest. My 62 Chrysler 300 convertible had one, but something that old may be hard to find or cost to much if you DID find one. Just an idea.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thank you so much for the information