Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lube oil on rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Lube oil on rear bumper

I recently took a little trip with my 97 Laredo and noticed lube oil splattered on my back bumper. I know it's lube oil because i can see wetness near the plug on the rear diff, it also appears to be leaking from the other side of the diff as well (where the shaft connects to the rear end) I'm guessing the seals are the culprit...

I don't do much mechanically so my question is what would it cost to get the seals replaced on it?? Is it something I can take on or should I leave it to the pros?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
Replacing the pinion seal on the front of the axle housing isn't something the novice mechanic should tackle. If you overtighten the yoke retaining nut you will burn out the pinion bearing, and too loose will cause bearing/gear damage.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

agreed with ol blue to a sense. if you are maticulous you can save yourself quite a bit of $$ the shop i called about my 93 s10 that wasted the seal wanted like 250 to do that. i got looking and its a very very VERY simply easy job. like changing your oil but with it being so easy its just as easy to really screw up and trash your axle. if your maticulous, i would take a paint marker and make a line that goes on the threads and the nut. count how many threads are showing. you SHOULD have the same threads when you put it back on and the lines lined up.

itll be 4 bolts to unbolt your d-shaft, and one large 34mm i think? for the yoke nut. other then that its pull it all off and put it back on

but if you have the cash to spend or available and would feel more comfortable i would just have a shop do it
Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: Inline 6

Yeah I think you're right, better to come out of pocket for 250 than to destroy the axle... Hopefully my next issue will be something I can take care of on my own.

Being that this is my daily driver can I refill the lube until the shop can get it in and still drive it without damaging anything?

Thanks for the Welcome blue

Last edited by 97on31s; 03-13-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=97on31s;1615026]Yeah I think you're right, better to come out of pocket for 250 than to destroy the axle... Hopefully my next issue will be something I can take care of on my own.

Being that this is my daily driver can I refill the lube until the shop can get it in and still drive it without damaging anything?

Thanks for the Welcome blue[/QUOTE/]

i would only drive it if you absolutely HAVE to. depending on how bad the seal is worn out, it might allow the pinion to have slop in it and cause it to trash the gears. if im wrong can someone please correct me. but as far as i know thats a possibility. and also depending on how bad its worn you could lose fluid just as quick as you put it in, when my s10s seal went i still had another 100 miles to drive, i would literally start the truck have it in Neutral and as soon as i would get out from under filling it up i would run to get in and take off so it wouldnt poor out of the front, and would have to do that like every 20 miles and never went over 30. i would just be EXTREMELY careful if you do drive be careful of mudd puddles and all and get it to the shop ASAP!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro

i would only drive it if you absolutely HAVE to. depending on how bad the seal is worn out, it might allow the pinion to have slop in it and cause it to trash the gears.
Worn seal wont allow for pinion slop, the bearing holds it in place.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dan91
Worn seal wont allow for pinion slop, the bearing holds it in place.

ok thankyou. then maybe my bearing was going out to, cause when mine went... now i think about it maybe the bearing going out was the culprit for my seal going bad lol. never thought about that cause i never heard any weird noises