Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Low oil pressure at idle .......... discussed to death but.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Low oil pressure at idle .......... discussed to death but.......

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and ocassionally at idle my oil pressure drops to around 5 ........... it goes back up to 40-50 during operation but the fact still remains that it drops way low.

Should I buy and install a new oil pressure sending unit or will that not fix my problem?

I always use a WIX filter. What oil should I be running that would help if any?

I've read so many articles and posts saying this and that but it still isn't clear how to fix the problem. I always hear that is the way it is and as long as it's not knocking or pinging ( which it's not ) then I should have nothing to worry about BUT I still don't like to see the gauge that low....... it's just something a person shouldn't see and is always unsettling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RIZ
Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Hi I think what should be cleared, that the oil pressure really drops, or it's only a measurement problem. For this the new oil pressure sending unit can be a good way. If it's installed and the oil pressure still drops, than it's a serious problem. It can be oil pump, oil overheating, but it's strange that it only comes up occasionally. I think there is no oil to solve this problem for long.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hey, RIZ. I think the best way to check this is to use a mechanical guage to check when this problem shows up. The guage in my WJ started pegging to the top on startup and then reading normally after warming up. After a while, it pegged all the time. I bought a Napa Premium sensor (made in Mexico) and all it EVER reads is 20 psi. Well, it read 35 at -15*F. If you're going to replace it, my advise is to bite the bullet and buy Mopar. This sensor is a piezo-electric crystal and printed circuit so quality of manufacture is important.

As everyone has stated, if it's not rattling, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it really concerns you, install an aux mechanical guage like the hot-rodders used to do. The only problem with that is if the line pops off the quage, it will fill the cabin with hot oil! Ask me how I know.