Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Loud creak coming from under the dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Loud creak coming from under the dash

Can't find anything on the internet...anywhere!

While operating the climate control: I move the passenger and/or drivers temperature ****, I get a light creaking noise from the resistor area under the dash.

When the ignition is turned to off: I get a very loud creaking noise (heard from outside of the jeep with all doors/windows closed) coming from the same area.

I have placed my hand on every component I can reach to feel for a vibration while the noise is active and I can only feel a slight vibration coming from the resistor. My resistor has been modified due to the burnt leads issue so many jeep owners have experienced. Other than that, nothing else has been touched. Aside from that, I can't think of anything within the resistor that would make a noise like that (i.e. no moving parts etc.).

I did run the onboard test and the codes "52 & 54" were flashing back and forth. I reset the codes to see if they would come back thinking they may be related to the fried resistor leads. The codes have failed to come back.

Aside from the noise, everything works perfect. Just bothers me that something is not right and I don't know what it is.

Anyone have something to share?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Mine is same way.I always wondered if my jeep was haunted. I have the 00' grand.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Nothing seems to be wrong. I just can't figure out what it might be.

Even if it were a supernatural being, at least I could put it to rest!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 PM

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Ltd with the automatic dual climate zones. I am having a similar issue. Just the other day I started the car and all the a/c controls turned off and stopped working. The digital temp controls were blank and nothing would turn on. I don't think the rear window defrost would even work. Then after 2 miles of driving everything came back on and has worked fine since. And now today I just started noticing the creaking and cracking noise coming from under the passenger side dash. After doing some research on this and other Jeep forums I assume it is one of two things. It is either my blower motor resisitor or something is potentially wrong with the blend doors.

I am hoping it is only something wrong with the wiring with the blend motor because that seems to be an easy fix.

I definitely hope it isn't the blend doors because I have heard that is a very expensive repair.

I feel like it isn't the blend doors because I am not having a problem with the mixture of cold/hot. Heat is hot out of all vents and a/c is cold out of all vents. But I haven't heard of bad blower motor wiring making the creaking noise. I have heard that the creaking noise can be a sign that the blower doors are breaking.

Does anyone have any insight into the issue? I sure hope it isn't a combination of both problems. Thanks for any help
Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 AM

That crunch sound is the blend door motor grinding up the door.
Unfortunately....

The problem is that old blend motors put out too much torque and even if you replace the doors, sooner or later they'll be broken again. It's better to buy both at once.

Really

The dash has to come off and freon has to be drained AFAIK, before new blend doors can be put in, and it's cheaper to update the motor once than to have to come back and redo the doors how ever many times they break.

If you want to see where the noise is coming from, just grab a phillips screwdriver and sit in the front passenger seat. Open the glove box and take everything out. There's i think two rubber stoppers, that you can feel if you stick you hand in the corners of the roof of the glove box. If the are screws, remove them to be able to pull the stoppers. Without them, the glove box will hang down, and you'll see a little white **** that turns. Sometimes turning that **** will help if the motor is seized up or if you need to diagnose if it's still working (by running the air heat and adjusting the timperature), but if the blend doors are what's dead, checking up the motor won't help any

P.S. i've had no heat due to the blend doors since winter of '04, and crunching noise for even longer....with heating seats it's sort of bearable if you keep a blanket with you....unless you have to use the window defroster that is...in that case it's frozen hell!!!

Allie