Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Loud clunk and reverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: inline 6, 4.0

I got the lift installed on my 96 zj 4.0 and took it out for some mild wheeling, everything performed great. A couple days later I started noticing a light pop when momentum was shifted front and back (could get it to pop once going forward then wouldn't do it again until I went in reverse). Sounded like when my control arm bushings went bad, those have all been replaced. Now this morning, I was parked in my slanted driveway, she shifted into reverse just fine, i put the brake down and she wouldn't go anywhere, it's like the parking brake was still on. I put it in drive and pulled forward about a foot and heard a loud, somewhat violent clunk up front. Put it back in reverse and rolled down into the street, but when I got on level ground I realized the tranny was still in nuetral, had to go back to park then reverse. Everything seemed fine after that on the drive to work, except for a slight slight knock/pop twice when coming to a stop. Any ideas? I'm desperate.

Last edited by C-Hunt; 06-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Update, looks like the transmission Mount is busted. Was still in tact a couple days ago. Hoping that's the only issue...
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Did you whack the transfer case on something? It's possible you cracked it then.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Did you whack the transfer case on something? It's possible you cracked it then.
Transfer case never got hit
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Update and new issue. Got the AT Mount replaced, but twice since when parked in my driveway, I put the jeep in neutral and it wouldn't roll down the driveway, pulled forward, heard a very light pop, everything worked fine after. I just took it on a camping trip, 200 miles round trip and climbed about 8000 feet in elevation. Some of the steeper grades seemed to be more of an issue than I think they should have been, but nothing too major. When leaving, I was slowly going up a dirt road and all of a sudden it was like I popped into neutral, had to shift out of drive then back in twice before it grabbed. Then about 25 miles later, when pulling away from a stop sign, I heard a creaking/deep squealing noise that seemed to be coming from the driver side rear wheel, i don't think i could have heard it if my window was up. It increased with tire rotation and went away at about 5 mph. It didn't sound like dragging brakes, Same thing happened at every stop on the way home (about 5 more). After I was home and rested, I went to check it out and the noise was gone, can't get it to happen again. I'm thinking it was possibly a wheel bearing going out (installed wheel spacers a few weeks ago and I know they can put extra strain on the bearings). Maybe it was only making noise after it was heated up from a long drive? Any info on either ailment would be great.

Last edited by C-Hunt; 06-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Update, New transmission Mount broke sometime within the first 300 miles and now my front differential is leaking. Any idea why the Mount would break so soon? I'm assuming the leaking differential is related, but not sure which problem is causing the other. Need help!