Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

loud bearing type noise coming from tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default loud bearing type noise coming from tranny

Hi all, im new to this forum. My gf has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo. Its 2 wheel drive (she lived in california). It has this very loud bearing type noise coming from the back end of the transmission/extension housing area of the tranny.
I put it on my lift at work and it makes the noise aroun like 25-30 mph. It sounds like a very loud bearing. the best way to describe it is it sounds like a helicopter lol.
i thought it was there all the time but then one night we were driving home on the highway and i was driving the jeep. For some reason i just decided to switch the O/D off. The noise basically went away, it was still there but very faint. Its kinda comfusing but the noise changed pitched while doing different things
with the O/D off the noise was pretty much gone, you give it a little gas and the noise loudens slightly.
With O/D on the noise immediately gets really loud, louder when u give it gas.
Now she is telling me even when she switches O/D off the noise is louder.

has anyone ever seen this problem? Im leading to believe we are going to have to either replace the transmission or rebuild it.
thanks for all the help in advance, sorry if my description is confusing.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeffl9682
Hi all, im new to this forum. My gf has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo. Its 2 wheel drive (she lived in california). It has this very loud bearing type noise coming from the back end of the transmission/extension housing area of the tranny.
I put it on my lift at work and it makes the noise aroun like 25-30 mph. It sounds like a very loud bearing. the best way to describe it is it sounds like a helicopter lol.
i thought it was there all the time but then one night we were driving home on the highway and i was driving the jeep. For some reason i just decided to switch the O/D off. The noise basically went away, it was still there but very faint. Its kinda comfusing but the noise changed pitched while doing different things
with the O/D off the noise was pretty much gone, you give it a little gas and the noise loudens slightly.
With O/D on the noise immediately gets really loud, louder when u give it gas.
Now she is telling me even when she switches O/D off the noise is louder.

has anyone ever seen this problem? Im leading to believe we are going to have to either replace the transmission or rebuild it.
thanks for all the help in advance, sorry if my description is confusing.
it seems something is related to rpm transmission operates on. if i were you i would check ATF condition and level first.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My 97 JGC's been doing this for a few years now. Mine makes a droning hum in OD under load. Switch off the OD and walla....it goes away for the most part. Been doing it for past 4 years and havent bothered to look into is. Fluids and mait. have always been done by me and kept up.
Not sure if the tranny pump for fluid is causing an issue at lower torque applications.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Model: Cherokee

fluid level and condition is fine. the noise doesnt seem to have gotten any worse since but its annoying. Im thinking it has to be in the overdrive area of the transmission.