Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Looking to buy a new GC, has a couple issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking to buy a new GC, has a couple issues...

I found a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited for a good price in the local classifieds. I have looked it over and it has a few issues. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me whether I should go for it or stay away:

1. Rear axle seals need replacing
2. Rear brakes are flooded with oil and need replacing
3. According to the owner, sometimes you have to crank the ignition a number of times to get the truck started. He said that a mechanic told him it was clogged fuel filters (after replacing the plugs) but with my luck its never the cheapest fix and the mechanic seems incompetent. He first thought it was the plugs, now the filters. I'm worried it may be something more. After a few attempts or 20-30 mins, the truck seems to start normally.

I would appreciate any input. The truck otherwise is clean, well maintained, and is for sale by the original owner. No body damage or anything of the sort. I really liked it and if it weren't for the owner's honesty, I probably would not have identified the rear axle seal leak or the starting problem (it's only happens once in a while). It's priced competitively and I am mechanically inclined so I can do the brakes and axle seals myself, but I am really concerned about the starting issue. Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'll be honest with you, there's a reason I got an XJ versus a Grand Cherokee when I decided I needed a used SUV. Grand Cherokees are great until things start going wrong. They can get expensive really quickly.