Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Looking at a 95 ZJ - what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 95 ZJ - what to look for

OK, so i know theres a few threads like this (there are bound to be) but after a search of "what to look for in a used ZJ" i get no results.

Bit of info on the Jeep -
It's a 95, 127000 miles, 5.2L, everything stock. Did a quick once over on it, going to test drive tomorrow.

Things I know to look for:

VC by doing tight figure eights in a parking lot after the test drive (usually more appartent when the VC is hot) - wheels will hop and chirp and stuff if the VC is bad. about $800 to repair.

Evap core for the AC - don't know how to test this, but know it's a PITA to replace if needed.

Shifting problems with the 46RH tranny - known to clunk into reverse, sometimes takes a couple seconds to shift between gears. I did notice that the tranny fluid is pretty brown while looking at it, but who knows the last time the trans was flushed and fluid/filter changed. If it shifts well, hope to use the fluid and lack of maintaince as bargaining point. Seems this problems are with a pressure sensor or something in the trans.

The good ole DW - as this is stock and not lifted, I don't know how bad this will be, but a thorough inspection of front linkages will still be performed.

Anything else speficially I should be looking for engine or drivetrain wise?

How about interior/accesories?

The body is in overall good shape with a few small problems. - It's been in a front end collision so the headlights aren't quite right and the grill is cracked. Also the hatch struts don't work and there is some rust on the bottom of the hatch from what I would assume to be a leaking rear seal. A tiny bit of rust on the frame rails and stuff, but with a Jeep 17 years old, I would think there would be.

Interior wise, it's pretty bare as far as options - cloth seats, manual climate control. Has power windows and power seats. No moonroof (wife was sad about that).

So anything else I should be looking at? Planning on going to test drive it tomorrow morning.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You have it pretty much covered, look at the underside of the floors for rust and look for oil leaks. It sounds like it has a few piddly things to replace, but good overall. Don't be sad about not having a sunroof, they all pretty much quit working smoothly by now anyway, and you really don't want the wind noise and leaks.