Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

just got my zj, already have problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default just got my zj, already have problems

So I just got the 93 zj limited I mentioned a few days ago. Its got the 5.2 and its awd. To start with it clunks somewhat hard into reverse. its definately not the transmission. its coming from the front more. also the notorious "service 4wd switch" light is coming on. no chime tho, previous owner must have already disconnected it. This jeep has high miles, 175 thousand, but I really do like it and it seems worth putting some money into. it obviously has some bugs but to get to the main point here, do any of you guys know why those bugs are happening and whats causing them
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L V8

I feel your pain man, don't be too down.

I got my first 94 ZJ AWD 5.2 - and same thing.. three days later all the problems she's been wanting to tell someone finally come out. Bought her for $1700 and I'm probably invested another $1,000 and still need to swap out the transfer case. Not to mention the owner was quite misleading. I guess it's my own fault for not knowing the proper things to look for when buying. All I can say is, you came to the right place, there's a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

I'm sure people will need more info on the reverse issue. Describe in more detail.

As for your "service 4WD".... welcome to the ZJ. That's all I'm going to say... I'll let someone else comment on that.

You will want to swap out your 249 Transfer case for the 231 or the 242. DO NOT get a transfer case newer than 1994. There is more than enough info on here to help you. With that said, I'm still having someone help me with my transfer case rebuild. Good luck!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 PM

thank you. Ive done a lot of research in the last hour about the service 4wd switch, and everyone seems to just ignore it. my only real question about it is , will it actually affect anything? like performance wise.

to describe the reverse situation better. I just went out and had a smoke and couldnt help but to go check out my jeep.(only had her for two days), and I started to work the tc shifter back and forth because I didnt know how long its been since its been engaged.( btw i did this with the engine off and the jeep in park),

Well the sound coming from the transfer case when shifting it was the exact sound that happens when i put it in reverse. only when i put it in reverse the sound is obviously louder and at the same time it "pops" into reverse. thats about the best way i can describe it. I know a decent little bit about trucks but im no expert, any ideas?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You have a NP249 transfercase with the viscous coupler that is about ready mess the bed. A swap to a NP231 or NP242 would be a lot better than fixing the one you have. www.quadratec.com has a NP231J for $620.00 brand new. But a good boneyard transfercase would be a lot cheaper and will work just fine. Once you work the bugs out of your rig you're going to love it. You have caught the Jeep bug.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Well theres my explanation to my old lady for why ill be laying under the jeep tearin it apart the first week lol. This is my second jeep, I had a 98 xj for 2 years that I dumped a lot of money into.
I love this zj tho, its got higher miles but damn is it clean for its age. ill post pics soon.

And to think, I traded my POS v6 mustang for it

Thanks for your help, Im going to start looking for a donor immediately
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 PM

That solved my TC issue, but what about the infamous "service 4wd" BS, All i want to know is if theres any actual harm involved towards the jeep, besides just being a real pain in the a$$
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Might need a scan tool to clear that light, but I'm not sure though.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L V8

I've read lots of posts about people all having that issue with the 93 and 94 ZJ. On other forums I even read about people having this problem the day they bought these ZJ's brand new. The dealership swapped some people's VIC, 4wd switch, etc.. but still had the same issue once in a while. Just from my own research, I don't think it interferes with performance, safety, or function.

This is just what I've read on the forums, I've owned my ZJ maybe a month or so and I have got the service 4 wd switch warning on 2 different occasions. Please let us know if you find anything else on it. And make sure your transfer case is around the same age as your ZJ - but not newer than 94. (there was a gear change mid 94)

post your pics, I want to see her. Here's mine. I took the lights and rack off until I can mount it better. Notice my cherokeeforum sticker... it looks good. Jeez I love this jeep!! Can't wait to swap the TC, front lockers, lift, tires...
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Model: Cherokee

Welxome to the ownership of a ZJ lol.... bought mine ran like a champ for 2 weeks then the trans went out fixed then the tc. Fixed then the. Pinion bearings one thing after another. But I wouldn't trade it for anything how many ZJs do you see a day with 6" of lift on 35s