Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

lighting issue need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default lighting issue need help/advice

Hello Everyone

I have a strange (possibly) issue with my headlights. I get a call at work from my family telling me the headlights on my jeep keep turning on and off (i told them it was the ghost of the prior owner). I think i know the problem but whats happening is this. the lights turn on for a few mins then turn off (i assume battery preservation setting realizing the vehicle is not on) and repeats this cycle.

in fact when I came home they lights was on again but by the time i got out my my kia and over to the jeep they had turned off. this had happened before as well but hasn't been a problem since june since the jeep was down and battery disconnected.

they was not flashing and the horn is not going off so i don't think it has anything to do with the anti theft.

what I do know from prior threads my light switch is going bad.

so I am assuming this is also whats causing this problem. I hope it is not a huge deal will just leave the battery disconnected until i need to use the jeep until i get a replacement light switch installed.

is that what you all think it is or do i have another problem?
do i need to call taps?

vehicle:
1996 jeep grand cherokee limited
4l engine
2wd

thanks

ryan
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Hoy Ryan, I had a problem with my auto feature turning the lights on when the switch was turned off. It didn't happen too often, but it raised concern. I was also having the dash lights flicker, which annoyed me more.
I was following another thread about light problems, and responses point the finger at the ambient light sensor for the Auto feature. I chimed in and suggested the light switch could be the culprit too, as I was having issues with.
OverlandZJ posted a link for a repair of the switch, and it worked for me. So, if your handy with a soldering iron or gun, give this a try before spending $40 to $80 bucks (depending on the different switch configs).
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/