Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lift kit control arms specs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Lift kit control arms specs?

I have a 96 zj 5.2 currently stock iam going too turn into a trail rig. iam looking too go 4-6 inches of lift. i work at a machine shop and can make my control arms for it so i just need some dimensions if anyone has a print or knows length, if they need to have a bend or not ect ect any info or pointing me in the right direction would defintally help iam still looking for on a road capable rig but wont be a daily
Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Having been a toolmaker for 50 years, I'm all for building your own stuff BUT the guys that make these lift kits have been doing it for a long time and know what works and what doesn't. You're going to want a long arm kit for a lift that high and all of the good kits bolt onto a crossmember that they make so you don't have to do any welding. Take a look at Iron Rock Off Road's 4.5" lift kit to see what is included and get an idea of what you have to make if you do it yourself. It's a lot of money, but if YOU get the geometry wrong, you can break something so you can't drive it home.

Do a little research on the forum, but I think you'll find the guys here think IRO is one of the best kits out there.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:33 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Having been a toolmaker for 50 years, I'm all for building your own stuff BUT the guys that make these lift kits have been doing it for a long time and know what works and what doesn't. You're going to want a long arm kit for a lift that high and all of the good kits bolt onto a crossmember that they make so you don't have to do any welding. Take a look at Iron Rock Off Road's 4.5" lift kit to see what is included and get an idea of what you have to make if you do it yourself. It's a lot of money, but if YOU get the geometry wrong, you can break something so you can't drive it home.

Do a little research on the forum, but I think you'll find the guys here think IRO is one of the best kits out there.
Thanks man ya iam currently scouring the forums and net for ideas
Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum, if you want a huge flex then go with the long arm kit, but if you want to hit some light trails, then you´ll need 17 inches from bolt to bolt on the front lower control arms, don´t forget to align the caster, good luck.