Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lemmon in the making- several questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Default Lemmon in the making- several questions

Hello All,
I am a brand new Jeep owner- purchased a 2017 Summit yesterday. Car was sold as new (full warranty) even though it has 1600 miles on it- got a very decent deal. In Utah, a car that has not been registered is not considered used until it has 7500 miles. So I have several issues/ questions that I would like to ask about.

1- This car was sitting on the dealers lot for quite some time. Apparently it was driven by one of the managers and then forgotten about. Accountability of some of the accessories were lost and the dealership had to scramble to find them when I bought the vehicle (e.g. floor mats and cargo cover). I picked up the vehicle after work last night and the light was not best- today I noticed that the floor mats are a different color than the vehicle's interior. The Jeep has the brown interior and the floor mats are grey. Picture attached. When I noticed this, I called the salesman and he told me "that is the color that the Summit has for floor mats with the brown interior, I verified this myself". I believe this to be BS and want to call them on it but I will need to prove that they are wrong. As a new Jeep owner, I am not sure where to turn to get definitive information. I am hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction?

2- When driving today and learning the Jeep's features, I noticed that auto-turn off at stops was not engaging. As I scrolled through the menu, I saw it said that the battery was not charged enough for the feature to function. Eventually, after driving for 2 hours, the feature started working. I then checked the voltage during operation and it indicated 14.3 V which was depicted as being in the medium range (see attached picture). My question is what should the battery voltage be during normal operations? The fact that the auto-shut down feature did not work initially (for about 2 hours) leads me to believe that I have a bum battery in the Jeep. Thoughts?

3- This one is my biggest concern. After taking a short hike in the mountains, I returned to the Jeep and when I opened the door, I did not smell that new car smell but smelled a strange smell that reminded me a little of electricity and fumes mixed. As I drove the vehicle, I noticed the smell again- stronger. I could not smell it while driving above 30 or so mph but the smell was very strong at lower speeds and when stopped after driving for a while. It did not matter if the AC was on or not. So being concerned I popped the hood and looked around. That's when I noticed the electical tape (see attached photo). This does not look right to me but this being my first Jeep, I don't know what right looks like. Of course, if this is not right, I don't know if it has anything to do with the smell. So two questions here- A. Is this electical tape right? B. Has anyone else encountered this smell before?

I think that I have a lemon in the making here, would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!