Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Leaking trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default Leaking trans?

So I have a leak in between my trans and my tc I attached pics of the trans numbers the tc numbers and the leak. Just wondering what you guys think is the problem is the the rear seal on the trans or what and how hard is it to change? It is a slow leak so no real worries yet but I don't want to let it get out of hand if it can be easily fixed!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:55 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Although I cannot see the pictures (forum issue) I may be able to help.
I also had a large leak between the 242 transfer case and 42re transmission on my 2000 Grand.
There is a channel in the mating surface of the two units that will allow fluid to drain if there is a bad seal.

I mistakenly bought a rear output seal for the transmission. But the 42re has an extension housing that holds the overdrive. The leaking seal mounts to the extension housing and then the transfer case input shaft slips into that seal when the two units are mated.
The job involves removing driveshafts and transfer case.
I can likely provide a part number once confirmed what transmission and TC you have. Early production in 1993 had the AW4. The 42re replaced it in late 1993.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum.

Here are images of the 46RH rear seal and of the removal of the NP249 front seal, like in your vehicle. One or both of those seals is leaking ATF+4 fluid in your vehicle.

Name:  46RH%20Output%20Flange_1.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  NP249%20Input%20Shaft%20Seal%20Removal.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  185.7 KB
Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM

thanks for the info! On a scale of 1- 10, 1 being don't worry about it and 10 being should have done it yesterday where would you put the need to take care of this?

Last edited by 93GreenGrand; 03-08-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: can't seem to type in english today
Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM

All the 24 year old seals and gaskets have gotten hard and warrant replacement.

IMO if the transfer case viscous coupler is original, then it will need replacement in the near future. That is a DIY job. Change the VC seals and the transmission seal during that repair.

Get a rebuilt VC off eBay w/ the replacement seals.

The urgency issue is maintaining appropriate fluid levels in the transmission and in the VC. Bad stuff will happen if the level is too low.

At some point the transmission will fail and require rebuild or replacement. Here is my 46RH rebuild topic. The rear seal is part of the transmission rebuild kit.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0

That 46RH looks just like the rear end of my 42RE. The seal I replaced was brittle and the leak was becoming progressively worse.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM

how about any bolt in replacements like the 231 or something that is not full time 4WD? Looking at the cost of the viscous coupler i can probably find a whole new tc!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Here is a replacement VC.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 - 4.0

I want to tell a story -

One time I had a Dodge vehicle and the transmission started leaking ATF. The power steering had been leaking ATF for a while. So much so that I routinely carried two or three quarts of ATF in the trunk. Every day or two I had to add ATF to one of the other so I bought it all the time. One day the auto parts guys said: What are you doing with all this ATF you're buying?

Got a leak.

Must be a big one - be cheaper if you bought a whole case at a time.

Yeah; I guess so - but what can you do? I guess I will take a case . . .

As I was standing in line waiting to pay I saw ATF Stopleak and asked:

Hey! Does this stuff work?

Nobody ever came back and said it didn't . . . .

OK; give me two quarts of that too. Nothing to lose I guess . . .

Outside I filled up the power steering pump (I always filled it right to the top edge so lasted longer between fill-ups <g>) and dumped the other leakstop quart into the tranny. I think it took another pint besides to fill it up.

Well; I had that truck for I don't know How must longer after that and that case of ATF was Still in the back when I sold it. Neither thing leaked another drop. When the buyer came to inspect it he took the top off the power steering pump and asked me why it was filled up to the top. <g>

You can take what you want from that story - but it's a true one. <g>

PHM
--------

Originally Posted by 93GreenGrand
So I have a leak in between my trans and my tc I attached pics of the trans numbers the tc numbers and the leak. Just wondering what you guys think is the problem is the the rear seal on the trans or what and how hard is it to change? It is a slow leak so no real worries yet but I don't want to let it get out of hand if it can be easily fixed!