Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Leaking tranny fluid from bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Leaking tranny fluid from bell housing

I started leaking fluid from the bell housing while mudding my jeep a few weeks ago so I pulled the tranny and everything looked ok, but i replaced the front seal anyways.

I put the tranny back in with the new seal start it and let it warm up and no leak... but as soon as I leave park and put it in neutral or drive it starts pouring out the bell housing. I'm pretty frustrated because I dont want to pull the tranny again and im not sure what the problem is. I know there is a vent/overflow at the top of the front pump, any ideas why it might be coming from there? I thought maybe there might have been a crack in my torque converter, but since it doesnt leak in park and it does in neutral i figured that is ruled out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Fluid flow in the trans is different in park vs neutral or gear, that is why you check fluid level in neutral. Are you sure it was not overfilled, and trans is not overheating? There are some seals on the pump stator that can leak and cause fluid to come out of the vent. Back to the fluid flow part, in park the fluid in the torque convertor just kinda sloshes around, it only really pressurizes in gear or neutral. It can be difficult to pinpoint these kind of leaks because the trans has to out to see them, the torque convertor needs to be removed which is going to cause fluid to spill but you are going to have to get back in there if the leak doesnt stop. Its not unheard for these to develop leaks on the torque convertor especially around the weld.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Yeah, im sure it wasn't overfilled and that it wasn't overheating. I'm pretty sure its coming from the vent on top of the front pump because when it goes in gear or neutral it pours out pretty good (enough to where i would notice if something was cracked that bad.)