Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep ZJ Steering Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Jeep ZJ Steering Upgrade?

Hey guys, I know there are posts everywhere about this but I am about tired of jumping all over.. I am going to be running the Iron Rock 5.5 Critical Path Long Arm kit on my ZJ I6 and I am torn between steering systems.. I have about 350 budgeted for the kit... I called IRO and were very helpful but still gave me the "its up to you bro" thing.. I am either going to get the IRO OTK BOLT ON steering system, or the Serious UTK steering... Unless anyone else wants to chime in on a better system for the money... I looked at RR crossover but I cant tell if I want to chance buying it, even with poly spacers for the dead spot..

The IRO OTK kit allows me to run up to 8" lift if I choose (not now) and I dont need to bend the draglink upon lift install..

The serious kit seems beefier but I will have to bend their draglink at LEAST 5 degrees for it to work since it is a UTK..

Anyone have any input?? It would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM

57 views and not one opinion?? Gents, your better than that
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that height, you should do OTK steering. You can go with the serious OTK kit but I believe you will need to relocate the trac bar above the axle. I went with the IRO kit because of how easy it was to install. You can keep the stock trac bar location on the axle. And I really like it. It is really beefy.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 AM

Oh Great man, thanks for the response. I really like IRO and I really cant find ANY bad reviews on their OTK set up besides people not liking the way it looked!! I actually PM'd serious off road and they even advised the OTK set up as well.. Do you run the IRO lift? The guys told me that this steering kit was actually designed for their type of high clearance lifts..

Does it drive well on the road? My ZJ is going to be like a weekend camping/trail running but will be on the road 70% of the time driving to and from LAke Tahoe and Yosemite
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drives great. It's my daily driver with 35's and I haven't needed a steering stabilizer since i put it on. I don't have an IRO lift. 6.5" rough country lift that came with the jeep. The steering should work with any lift. I don't see why that would make any difference. If you can make your own stuff, there may be better options, but for something that is almost bolt on, I think the IRO steering is pretty good. It has worked out well for me.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Perfect.. That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks man!!