Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hello! Having problem with flickering interior lights & door locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello! Having problem with flickering interior lights & door locks

Hi everyone! I have enjoyed reading a lot of the postings here at Cherokee Forum. They have been somewhat helpful. But I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I seem to be having. I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It was running just fine, but one evening I was driving home and all of a sudden my interior lights started flickering on/off and the door locks were switching on/off while I was driving. After reading a lot of postings, I decided to check out the door jamb switch. I bought one but now I am having trouble taking it out to change it. (Oh! I'm changing the driver door.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace it. And if you know of any online video that would be much better. I hope someone will be able to help me. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Great News!!!

After reading many, many, many postings here at cherokeeforum.com, I was able to fix the problem with the door jamb switch. I replaced the driver door but it wasn't it. So I changed the one one the passenger side door... still no help. But I noticed that someone placed a very thick piece of tape on the door where the jamb would touch. I readjusted it and that did it. Lights are off and no more door lock switching. I know I still have to buy a new switch for that door, but it will hold out till I can go buy one. I want to thank everyone for your postings because I wouldn't have been able to do it without you.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Killer great job and props for reading and finding the info you needed.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF Cherokeegirl! At last, an intelligent newbie! I think I posted with you before, why does your post count only say 2?

It's nice to see someone do their own research and troubleshooting before shotgunning parts at it to no avail. Also, some information about the vehicle and location is important. I once was posting with a guy about a cold starting problem. It turns out he was in Hawaii while I was freezing my **** off at -5*. His cold was 70*! Location is important.

Anyway, It's nice to see you back!