Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep w/ Issues

Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Jeep w/ Issues

I bought this Jeep in August 2009. The engine and trans are newer, but looks like installed with most parts original. Since I got it we have had to replace the fuel injectors (with used "newer" injectors) and the bar connecting them with new lines to the injectors. We also put a new battery and alternator, as well as brakes (rear, front) and I am looking forward to more repairs now.

My biggest problem is the starter. We recently were stranded because it would not start. We were able to start it by holding the starting and turning it a little while I cranked the engine. When we did this the engine turns on and makes a high revving noise before dropping to a pig noise making grunt sound. The car is getting better fuel mileage since replacement of fuel filter (it would refuse to accelerate) although we are still having problems with the injectors popping out if the air system is connected to the air filter. Also on the top of the engine the seal was supposedly replaced but leaks around it. What would we need to purchase to seal the top, although I see oil leaked the amount is small and I only have to put oil in every other month, about 1 quart as we don't drive it too much about 25 miles a day at most round trip.

I'm wondering if the popping of the fuel injectors may be from the oxygen sensor as we have no problems since disconnection? We also have seen oil in the air filter, which someone thinks is coming from a hole in the house sucking up the oil that is flying off the top of the engine?

My husband is going to work with our neighbor to get the starter fixed, we were told maybe we could find replacement screws as it seems like the starter is being held very loose, as it is very moveable right now. Someone suggested we maybe cement it if necessary?

I hate doing all these repairs but so far we've been able to keep it running. Is there any advise anyone might have about what we can expect with the starter? It seems good to me as once we got a good connection it revved up really good and kept going. The other thing someone mentioned was we should clean the blue-green corrosion around the starter wire, how would we go about doing that?

Yikes. I'm the only employed one and so far we've been lucky to get by with figuring out repairs to keep it going. Just keep praying the engine and trans don't flip out yet. Small things still.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

What year is your Jeep, and which engine and transmission does it have? It will help on people giving advice.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan