Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling fixed!

I found this thread and thought it may help someone out so here it is...
(link)http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102...tentMain;posts

Story...
Found that the outboard PCM cover screw was shorting out the circuit board. Chrysler PCM p/n P56028412, s/n TEH106636023.

Short story long: I have a 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0L, 125,000 miles. Several weeks ago, I started to have stalling issues. Hot or cold, dry or wet, first drive of the day or last, it didnt matter. The engine would cut out. It felt like it lost all electricals.
At the time it was showing an ASD relay code. Swapped the ASD and A/C relays. Same problem. I didnt have time to look at it, so I had the dealer go through it. After 2 days and $200, they called and said it was the ASD relay, and that they put in a new one, and its all good. Um, ok, maybe I missed something. Im a trusting soul, but lets see if this fixes it. The next day the problem was back. I went back to the dealer and they basically said, We dont know what it could be, good luck with that. Now my wife knows why I dont go to the dealer. By the way, the old relay tested good.
My turn. Being the methodical aircraft mechanic that I am, I grabbed a multi-meter, contact cleaner, and wiring diagrams. I cleaned connectors, ohmed out wires and sensors, checked for power and grounds. Everything checked good. By now, its showing ASD, crank sensor, and primary ignition codes. Then, with my wife trying to start it, I wiggled the connectors on the PCM. Every time I wiggled the gray C3 connector just right it would run. When I let go, it would die. So I took the connectors apart and tightened up the crimps (I dont recommend doing this without the proper extractors and crimper). Threw it back together and BAM! Same problem. Well, time to bite the bullet and check for bad solder joints on the PCM board. I took the cover off of the PCM and realized that looking through the potting compound is like looking through Guinness Stout. But, I put it back in and hooked it up. It started stronger than ever, and didnt even think about stalling. Yes! I figured that I finally got the connectors sorted out, so I left it over night to cool down. Got up the next morning and it started right up and wouldnt stall even when wiggling the connectors. So I put the cover back on, put the PCM back in, hooked up the connectors, and BAM! It wouldnt start! That was the point when my wife asked, Hows it going? And I, being the methodical aircraft mechanic that I am, said, what the ----? Thats when my wife turned around and went back into the house. While smoking a pack of cigarettes, I thought, Gee, it runs with the cover off, but not with it on. DUH, wonder what it could be? So I backed out the two screws that hold the cover on and BAM! It started right up. Then, while it was running, I tightened the outboard screw and sure enough, it died. Yes! Aircraft mechanics love it when they can make things stop working. I installed new screws (1/4 long, factory screws are 1/2 long Torx head), and shes been running great ever since.
Now, will this fix a bad crank sensor or idle air motor? No. But it is an easy trick to try before going to the dealer and having them throw expensive parts at your Jeep and seeing if any of them stick. Just back out the cover screws about 1/8-1/4 (dont worry, nothing will fall apart inside). If it fixes it, great! Spread the word. If not, use logical trouble-shooting steps. Learn the systems what will and what wont cause the problem. Good luck.
As a side note, if you want to see a service managers eyes pop out of his head, tell him that you want your money back because your not going to pay them to trouble-shoot a design defect. Its a glorious sight.
Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (01-08-2020)
Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

New to the forums, and i only found the site because of the same post and some good ole' GoogleFU..... I have a 97 JGC, never owned one until now, basic model stock parts. We changed all the sensors out....beat our heads on the wall for several weeks and it got so bad ( stalling in massive traffic here in Louisville, stalling at idle, 65mph on cruise ect ect ) that i decided to back the two screws out on the PCM unit about 4 turns and POOF!!!! in my case it worked, my Jeep is back to rocking order....it is not the case for everyone but i highly suggest you try it out BEFORE you get that new PCM or refurb....

Thanks
Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

I saw a video on this somewhere. On it, the guy took out the stock screws and put in longer ones. I just went through this with my 2000 WJ. I wasn't as lucky, but I did not try the screw thing. I am glad for you guys. My fix was expen$ive.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 AM

We got lucky, i am and work with a half dozen engineers and we were absolutely stumped after the first round of changing all our sensors, checking grounds, replacing plugs and wire's.....it was a huge long shot to try but after two days of backing those two hex screws out not only is my jeep running better than ever my gas millage went up. Like i said its not a fix for everyone but it worth just backing the two screws out 3 turns and see what happens.

thanks for posting...
Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Two screws

Just bought a 96 grand Cherokee limited for my teens to drive. The previous owner said it had an "idler problem" according to her mechanic and would sporadically stall and die. Haven't driven it anywhere yet but am going to try this "two screws" thing before we do. Wish me luck! She also said I should plan to replace the alternator about once a year?! Any thoughts on that? Is this common?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Not unless she's buying cheap ones. Or used junkyard ones.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 PM

I agree with Scott_Sport99. I think mine is OEM from 97 ( i know i need to change it out) and still works.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:19 AM

My Jeep would randomly shut off and the engine would die. It was completely unpredictable. And then most of the time it wouldn't start back up immediately and I would have to wait about 5 min before it would start again and who was to say how far I'd make it that time before it randomly died on me again.

I had this same exact problem with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee AND again in my 2003 Grand Cherokee. I took it into a Jeep dealer and they raked me over coals and eventually I had paid a couple thousand bucks for them to replace things that weren't the problem. My Jeep kept dying. Eventually, last, they replaced the CPU (or PCM I can't remember what it's called). It is basically the computer of the Jeep. It is about the size of a large piece of bread and it's silver metal. My Jeep no longer dies, problem solved. The CPU I purchased was a used one off another Jeep from a scrap yard and it's still going strong 6 years later. So if I was you, and I was having this exact problem, I would START with replacing the PCM computer FIRST. Good luck.