Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Interior lights stay on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Interior lights stay on while driving

Ive read every forum posting on this topic but hopefully someone's got some insight. When I open the door the lights turn on normally however when I start the car and drive they all stay on (dome,rear etc). I have done a couple things to check problem areas....

1.) opened all doors one by one and pushed in door switch to see if possibly one of them was defective or would not close-however each when opened initiated "door open" in overhead display.
2.) I have checked the rear dome light to make sure it is not pressed in, I have also checked the light override **** on the stalk coming out of steering column-both off.
3.) I checked the wires in the rubber boot going into doors. I thought I felt a broken segment in the drivers door ground wire so I cut it to splice back together. However when I cut it my windows and lock controls did not work on the drivers side doors. So I knew it was not a broken ground wire that was causing my light issue.I resolderred the ground back together and everything was back to normal.
4.) I'm ASSUMING the BCM is ok because after I exit the car and lock it, the lights will eventually go out after 15 minutes.

If anyone has any info please help! Thank you for your time
Old 02-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check your headlight switch... there’s a detent if turned all the way to the left that turns on all
interior lighting manually. Those lights will stay on no matter if the doors are closed when the switch
is in that detent, depleting your battery. Check to see if the headlight switch out of that left detent.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

You have a broken wire in the door. You just missed it. The BCM will turn the lights off after 15 minutes.